Delete word in Vim Insert mode: how to take out the whole word including trailing space?

Linfeng Li

Apr 28, 2020, 6:39:59 AM4/28/20
to Ajax.org Cloud9 Editor (Ace)

Overleaf uses Ace as the editor. Its Vim mode has the following odd way of treating an empty space as a word when pressing Ctrl+W to delete a word to the left of the cursor in Insert mode.

Overleaf_deleting.gif

In native VIm, the same line is deleted with roughly 50% less fo the repetitions:

Vim_deleting.gif

A related issue has been reported with Ctrl+Backspace as well, here on Github.

Is there a quick setting that I can integrate into this GreasyFork script? I now run it whenever I interact with the Overleaf editor.

Thanks a lot!

All the best,

-Linfeng

Linfeng Li

Oct 20, 2021, 8:23:24 AM10/20/21
to Ajax.org Cloud9 Editor (Ace)
In short, there is no need to hardcode anything.

I ended up using Vivaldi as the browser, which has an option to disable Ctrl+W as a browser-shortcut. The old Internet Explorer is another browser where Ctrl+W is not intercepted from Ace editor.

Native to Ace, Ctrl+W is working as intended for Vim-key-bindings.