Highlight all variable names in a unique color

Alan Wells

Mar 11, 2021, 2:46:50 PM3/11/21
to Ajax.org Cloud9 Editor (Ace)
Is there a way for the ACE editor to detect all newly defined variable names and highlight them in their own color?
Obviously a list of static names can't be used for the highlighting rules because variable names could be most anything.
I found some code that can extend the current rules and I have that working but can only get it to highlight a specific word.
If it's possible to do, but would be too much work to post an answer here, I'd be interested to know if anyone could be hired to figure it out.