Fwd: CAPACITY BUILDING FOR PUBLIC HEALTH OER REVIEW AND RESPONSE

AMADI MARTHA

Jun 11, 2008, 10:35:35 AM6/11/08
to acde-2008-onlin...@googlegroups.com

Note: forwarded message attached.

akina...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2008, 12:32:46 PM6/16/08
to ACDE 2008 Online Virtual Forum
PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUES AND OER IN AFRICA.
Dear participants
I am Akin Adejimi, a lecturer in the Department of Architecture,
Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ibogun campus
In Africa, a high percentage of the people are ignorant, superstitious
and poor. (ISP). This has negatively affected the continent’s
health. The endemic nature of malaria and other African related
diseases kill millions of Africans yearly. This is not always because
of the intensity of the diseases, but the ignorant and superstitious
attitudes towards the treatment of them. In most African countries,
diseases are at times worshiped, and appeased. For example in many
parts of Nigeria causes of diseases are looked at as follows.
a. Diseases as gods.
Small/chicken pox is deified as a god and when it strikes, the god
must have been annoyed and need to be appeased with rituals.
b. Witches And Wizards
In Yoruba land of Nigeria, little is known about HIV/AIDS until
recent, instead, it is believed that such health problems like the HIV/
AIDS and others that are yet to have cures are brought about by the
nefarious activities of witches and wizards. It is believed that when
a man offends the witches they can decide to be sucking his blood
gradually, while the victim wastes away and loses weight until he is
dried out and then die.
c. Oyinbo Disease
Others believe that HIV / AIDS is an Oyinbo (white) man’s disease and
that it does not affect the Africans. Many also believe further that
there is nothing like AIDS, otherwise, why are we not all dead of the
disease through mosquito bites by now?
d. Malnutrition.
Some argue that HIV / AIDS is a form of the results of malnutrition
and poverty. Their belief is that when a body is suffering from
malnutrition, it is open to all sorts of diseases that drains the body
until the person breaks down and dies.
While the ignorance, superstitions and poverty continued, conventional
education has failed Africans. It has segregated Africans into ‘the
poor and the rich’. The majority, because of their poverty are the
ignorant, and superstitious. Even, there is a big digital divide in
the modern day e-learning. All these are why OER is highly needed to
reduce these divides and save the majority of Africans from these ISP
supported diseases. To achieve this there is a serious need for
intensifying efforts in capacity building in this area.

Thanks

Akin Adejimi
Department of Architecture, OOU, Nigeria.