Quality Assurance in OERs and General

Richard Kajumbula

Jul 1, 2008, 3:18:05 AM7/1/08
to acde-2008-onlin...@googlegroups.com, jeg...@gmail.com
Greetings to you all,

Thank you all for the contributions on Quality assurance. I agree with the
views. Professor Jegede rightly summarized and pointed out that Emphasis
must be placed on quality of the many and variable inputs (textbooks,
support services etc) that ODL requires. On mentioning the issues of
support, I was particularly excited. My and my co-author’s paper for ACDE
is titled “Incorporating Relationship Marketing as a Learner Support
Measure in the Quality Assurance Policy for Distance Learning At Makerere
University, Uganda”. If we get or one of us gets the chance to attend the
ACDE conference, we will probably get a chance to interact with all of you
on the subject more ellaborates especially to learn from some of you.

Relationship marketing refers to all activities directed to establishing,
developing and maintaining successful long term relationship with the
student and other stake holders. All aimed at enabling the student get the
best out of the institution offering. When it comes ot OERs, this becomes
very crucial.

It is noteworthy that there is need for constant contact and tracking of
learners be it online or physical. Relationship marketing is a key aspect in
controlling attrition and should therefore be incorporated in policy for
Quality Assurance in Distance Education so that each staff member is obliged
to implement it. It should be included in all aspects of student life right
from the time of admissions, registration, and in the teaching and the
learning environment.

How do we create lasting relationships with students in order to improve the
quality of the output of OERs? Even in the conventional DE situations, it is
difficult to do this. However, out of this discussion, there should be a
way. Institutions should incorporate it in their policy statements for
starters.

Within the confines or OERs, there would probably need to be constant
follow-up of users of the resources and an individual particularly
positioned or hired by the people who post the material to ensure that there
is subsequent support and maintenance of quality standards as widely
understood.

Those are my few thoughts and I am anxious to share them here and even at
ACDE.

Regards

Richard Kajumbula
Incharge, Student Support Services