Summary of week4: Quality Assurance and OER in ODL

Professor Olugbemiro Jegede

Jun 30, 2008, 3:58:11 AM6/30/08
to VF on ACDE, Wale Adesina, Prof Tunde Ipaye, Dr. Christine Ofulue
This past week dealt with QA and OER. It marked the 4th and last week in the Virtual Forum of the ACDE conference. I am pleased to have facilitated this sub-theme. Let me do a very short summary of the main issues which came out of the week's discussion.
They are itemised as follows:

1. We cannot talk about open education resources either as tools for course development or a product for sudents and tutors without touching on QA for all aspects of ODL.

2. Quality is a very slippery topic and certainly has cultural and
bureaucratic dimensions.

3.Guidelines for determining aspects to be included in OER standards must be internationally agreed upon.

4.The continuous production models often associated with
OERs present problems for quality assurance.

5. Emphasis must be placed on quality of the many and variable
inputs (textbooks, support services etc) that ODL requires.

6. The cost of any quality system must not exceed the value of the service.

I observed that although we had fewer postings on the QA sub-theme than we had in others, the quality of input was nervertheless very high and issues discussed very pointed.

Thank you all for your contributions to and participation in this sub-theme.

Olugbemiro Jegede
Facilitator of the QA sub-theme

Ahmed Eltayib

Jun 30, 2008, 8:10:32 AM6/30/08
to acde-2008-onlin...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prof.
Sincere congratilations on the success you acieved on the Virtual Forum of
the ACDE conference. It was areal success. Wish you all the best on the
upcoming conference,

Prof. A.E. Mohammed
VC OUS

Toyin Oloniteru

Jun 30, 2008, 9:05:41 AM6/30/08
to acde-2008-onlin...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

It has been a very nice virtual forum and I think more should be set
up after the up coming conference.

It may be of interest to know that a number of people participated in
this forum as active readers/listeners of the forum proceedings and
contributions (in passive mode). This should be considered in the
evaluation of the forum success.

I hope that the actual conference would provide an opportunity for
many of us to see physically and that should enhance future
contributions.

Kind Regards,

Olutoyin J. Oloniteru
Director, Knowledge Age Africa Ltd