double free or corruption error in generate with llvm-ptx

Matt Wittmann

May 30, 2023, 11:05:28 PM5/30/23
to Accelerate
Hi all!

I'm very excited to have discovered Accelerate. As a learning project I've been working through an example from Simon Marlow's Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell, on generating an image of the Mandelbrot set using the GPU.

I've come across a peculiar, size-dependent runtime error while attempting to implement a function with signature

    genPlane :: Float -> Float -> Float -> Float -> Int -> Acc (Array DIM2 Complex)

(This generates a mesh of complex numbers given a 2 points and a grid size.). The code and version information is in this gist: https://gist.github.com/mcwitt/8065817084a202e72b6c27090432ce28#file-main-hs.

The error is

    double free or corruption (!prev)

and is apparently dependent on the size of the array generated. On my machine, sizes <= 1617 do not generate the error, and larger sizes do.

I'm new to Accelerate, so it's possible I'm doing something silly here. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to investigate this further.

Matt

Matt Wittmann

May 31, 2023, 1:54:16 AM5/31/23
to accelerat...@googlegroups.com
My mistake, I thought the initial message to the mailing list had not gone through and ended up opening an issue which is a duplicate of this in the GitHub repo here: https://github.com/AccelerateHS/accelerate/issues/532. I also minimized the reproduction a little bit more from what is described in the initial message. Apologies for the noise.