Texas realignment

Dean Webb

Jun 12, 2007, 10:35:07 PM6/12/07
to Acadeccoaches
http://www.txacadec.org/NEW%20REGIONS2%20-%20with%20hosts.xls

Wow. Not a hoax. In my Region X, it's good-bye most of DISD and Coppell and
hello Allen, McKinney, and Frisco. I'll miss my buddies there in the
regional meet, and will welcome the new teams. Maybe we'll toughen up with
EVEN MORE competitiveness and get a Texas team that can take CA on.

With bragging rights at stake, :-)

Dean Webb
Berkner HS
Richardson, TX

Susan Embler

Jun 12, 2007, 11:47:53 PM6/12/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
This is INSANE.

This is going to drive our management team CRAZY. What if DISD sends ten
schools next year? We've had a big drive for all schools to have a team.
Does SOC go with Hillcrest for medium sized? Does TJ go with Skyline for
large school?

Holy moly. . . .

Susan in Dallas

Dean Webb

Jun 12, 2007, 11:58:14 PM6/12/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
OK, some geographic notes...

REGION I: Leander now has a looooong drive to the Panhandle.
REGION II: Looks like you are all in El Paso.
REGION III: Takes in the RGV, Corpus, and the southern Coastal Bend.
REGION IV: It's all San Antone. 26 schools, too.
REGION V: 26 schools in the Greater Houston area.
REGION VI: More in Houston. 25, including Bryan.
REGION VII: YET MORE in Houston. Well, 21 schools in areas considered "near
Houston".
REGION VIII: Tarrant and Denton counties.
REGION IX: Large schools near DFW, medium schools from Mesquite, Waco,
Kilgore, and Copperas Cove... a number of big commutes in the medium schools
there.
REGION X: Collin, Rockwall, and NE Dallas counties. Morituri te salutant.
REGION XI: A number of small schools covering from Marfa to Sinton. Now THAT
is a massive range to travel... I guess they'll meet in the middle around
Lago Vista.
REGION XII: Dallas ISD, southern Dallas county, and East Texas, plus some
Collin county medium schools.

There remain some big commutes for schools in Texas, but I don't think it's
as many as there were in the previous alignment we had.

Dean Webb

Jun 12, 2007, 11:58:14 PM6/12/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
WT White is listed in Region XII and Hillcrest is in Region X. Did they make
these choices based on scores? If so, then that'll be the answer to your
question, Susan.

Our team in Region X loses DISD and Coppell people, so I'd hope the
McKinney, Frisco, and Allen folks are happy to step up.

Susan Embler

Jun 13, 2007, 2:53:17 AM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
It looks to me like Hillcrest was pitched to your region. I talked to the
coach briefly tonight and she's bummed. The five A teams that we are
pitched against now are certainly more able for us to beat. We've been
dumbed down. The Mesquite teams are worthy certainly, but we've been
pitched into a less competitive region.

I'm serious that our management team is going to throw a gasket (Judy
Johnston). This means that she may have to do more work.

I don't think the realignment is based on scores. I think it is about
balancing 4A teams with 5A teams. We've just had such an attrition of 4A
teams in our region lately. We had what 3? this last time at our region.

The balancing may be based on scores. (second thought) putting the Dallas
five A schools in with some of the lesser successful five A schools in the
Dallas region.

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm trying to build a program in a huge
district that has not supported such building. I think that there is an
initiative to do so now (boy howdy) and I regret that the system is just now
figuring out that we need to support the programs.

There is locally a push for EVERY school to have a team (duh?) which should
be the status quo. Sadly, so many schools in DallasISD have dropped the
program. The attrition rate over the last five years is abominable. I can
only hope that the gesture of support is genuine.

I'm at my current school because my dean wanted me for decathlon and art
history and jewelry. We have 40 kids as apposed to the four when I got
there. However, I learn that he has failed to order our materials yet. I'm
supposed to meet with my kids to distribute stuff and I have nothing to give
them! I guess I will meet with my kids and ask them all to have read the
novel and be willing to discuss it. They have nothing else to work with
other than the art basic guide and the music basic guide and the econ basic
guide that they retained from last year.

That doesn't take into account the new kids that made the team that don't
have the resources. Magnet schools are a booger. Our kids are spread over
a large metropolitan area and can't easily meet.

Oh joy. This is going to be fun this summer. . .

David Gear

Jun 13, 2007, 12:00:26 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
What I would say about unhappy management team members is that they should have been at the meeting to represent their respective regions.  Rather than freaking out in a reactive manner, they should be more involved in the programs in their respective districts and they should have attended the meeting.  I'm not criticizing one particular district or region but rather all of them that failed to send a representative (my district and region included).

David
AcDec Coach
Rockwall High School

Irish, John

Jun 13, 2007, 12:03:38 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
All Texas Coaches,

Just to put an end to the rumors, the realignment had nothing to do with scores. I was at the meeting, a rough draft was done by a geography teacher of an AD coach on his own based solely on geography and looking at numbers of schools in each region, the coach presented this to us and we discussed it and voted on it. While he had access to the scores, his motivation was to realign regions based more on common sense and location.

It hurt my region as well, we go from basically Seven Lakes and Friendswood getting most of the medals, to now having 3 other schools scoring in the mid to upper 30K, with Foster finishing in the top 10 in the State! This means much less medals for my kids. There is no question that there are some weaker regions and tougher regions, that was the case before the realignment as well. But none of these factors went into determining the geographic regions.

The Frisco region will get even tougher once Wakeland and Liberty move up to 4A, which they will do after this year. So things are only going to get tougher in that region. There really is no way of getting around that, the same thing happens in the UIL regions as well, that is just the nature of the beast. Once Seven Lakes moves up to 5A, which we will do after this year, me and my wife will be competing against each other with the UIL Social Studies (she coaches at Katy Taylor - and is the new AD coach there as well), we both won state this year - I won 4A and she won 5A! We will basically have to beat the other teams out for the wildcard slot.

I am sure after a couple of years these will make sense to everyone and you all will adjust.

John

Spartan Decathlon
Seven Lakes High School
Katy, Texas

________________________________

winmail.dat

Dean Webb

Jun 13, 2007, 4:46:01 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Sue Edwards told our region person that the coaches were supposed to go. I never got my invite. My assistant never got the invite.

Did any of you?

Susan Embler

Jun 13, 2007, 6:58:54 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
This was certainly the first I'd heard of it and apparently our Management team member didn't know either.  The Hillcrest coach contacted her today and Dr. Johnston didn't believe her.

Ask me if I'm surprised. . .

Susan in Dallas

t.zab...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 13, 2007, 8:13:05 PM6/13/07
to Academic Decathlon Coaches
The "invitation" was posted on the state website. The impetus for this
realignment came from certain schools who competed in regions well
outside of any geographic sensibility. There was no official process
for a school to move into a region. A request was made and permission
to move granted for some. The meeting produced someone whose husband
happened to be a geographer. Using geography as the criteria, teams
were placed into regions. The status quo saw teams from Corpus Christi
area competing in San Antonio while some medium teams from the San
Antonio area traveled to places such as Marfa. Additionally, schools
that had not competed for years were counted as being part of Region
IV. Two or three years ago, a medium school that was across the
highway from the regional host school being forced to travel to Marfa
to compete. From my perspective, effective communication of concerns
and issues remains a challenge. Additionally, the previous years
produced a large school regional winner (not IV) who only competed
against one other school. That circumstance prompted the Texas board
of directors to require a minimum of five schools to compete in order
to qualify for the automatic regional winner state berth.

On Jun 13, 5:58 pm, "Susan Embler" <silver...@usa.net> wrote:
> This was certainly the first I'd heard of it and apparently our Management team member didn't know either. The Hillcrest coach contacted her today and Dr. Johnston didn't believe her.
>
> Ask me if I'm surprised. . .
>
> Susan in Dallas

David Gear

Jun 13, 2007, 10:25:25 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
The all-call invitation was posted on www.txacadec.org website for weeks.  I'm a nut and check that site regularly for these things that's how I knew.  Go to Txacadec.org and check out the "Dates to Remember" section.

David

Dean Webb

Jun 13, 2007, 11:02:00 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. That's not the best way to get the word out. (Notice my use of litotes...)

For a whole lot of us to be going, huh? Whodunnit? Wha'hoppen?, it shows a failure of communication at the State level. That may be the real issue at play here. Sure, we got the split up districts, but they're along large/medium lines. The state did not get the word out effectively - there should have at least been an email opt-in list for us to subscribe to.

I used to help manage corporate communications systems in a previous career. This sort of thing wasn't excusable even before email: there were fax machines and telephones and phone trees to get the word out.

HERE'S HOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE:

1. Sue Edwards calls the 12 region coordinators.
2. The 12 regional coordinators call the district representatives for the school districts in their region.
3. The district reps contact their coaches.

WOW THAT WAS EASY TO DO.

Well, we got the realignment... at least until DISD explains its situation... of course, if I was running DISD, I'd ask for all the schools to go to Region XII. Region X is a massacre waiting to happen, as I well know.

Dean

Dean Webb

Jun 13, 2007, 11:12:19 PM6/13/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
The small schools situation, though seems all out of whack. Dalhart's in the
same region as Houston-area small schools and Marfa and Sinton are still in
the same small school-only region.

Now, if we had more schools doing AcDec, maybe Marfa and Sinton wouldn't
have to meet halfway at Lago Vista for their meets... so what is the Texas
Academic Decathlon doing to get more schools to give it a whirl? Austin,
Temple, Killeen, Abilene, Victoria, Corsicana, Sherman, Wichita Falls: where
are you on the regional list?

I think I'm starting a few other threads here, but that's just chaotic
little me. I'm writing a FTROU book AND reading Ambrose Bierce, so that gets
me in a bit of an acerbic mood.

Just so I don't get into any more trouble with the state people,

Name and address withheld.

(I don't think they can trace email addresses, so I'm safe there)

Susan Embler

Jun 14, 2007, 12:19:11 AM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Well the geographical solution will have us traveling about 45 miles.
Rather than ten.

I'm not overwhelmed by the state office's ability to keep up. They still
show me as the coach of a school I left 3 years ago, and show people who now
live in Oregon as the coach at my school.

I think they need to pay attention to the registration forms that we submit.
How many teams compete in Texas? That's a lot of money in registration
fees. I will have to say that I think Shonna is a love. She has been very
good to me personally.

Why would they put us (every Dallas school but Hillcrest) in Aubrey and
Hillcrest that is 12 miles closer to Aubrey in a different region? I
understand the need to realign and don't disagree that we should be in with
some of the schools that we have been put with, but why split our district
and split Frisco? The region that has a "management team" concept has ONE
school left in that region. Does our management team member have to clone
herself (oh GOD)?

I actually CAN understand splitting a district as large as Dallas, but not
in such a random way. Our region had grown pretty large. I'm happy for my
inner city school to have a chance at some medals at region. I've thought
we should be in with the Mesquite schools for a while.

Well this all goes to show that you can't please all the people all the
time. Go figure. . .

I'm just pissed beyond belief that my dean hasn't even ordered my materials
yet. I usually have them by now.

OY!!

Susan in Dallas

Todd Decker

Jun 14, 2007, 12:39:01 AM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Susan,

What's your address? I was in a similar predicament as you until one of the
other coaches on this email list sent me a packet of materials. Well, my
order just came in, and in the spirit of cooperation, I would like to "pay
it forward" and send you a set.

Todd Decker
South Mountain High School
Phoenix, AZ

Rex Howard

Jun 14, 2007, 8:27:40 AM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
I did not know about the meeting either. Using the website only is a
pitful way to communicate. The website is mostly useless, so I do not
use it. I do not think I am alone in this.

Rex H. Howard
Plano East Senior High School
Science - Academic Decathlon
469.752.9000
voice mail extension 39043
rho...@pisd.edu

On 6/13/07, Susan Embler <silv...@usa.net> wrote:

> This was certainly the first I'd heard of it and apparently our
> Management team member didn't know either. The Hillcrest coach
contacted
> her today and Dr. Johnston didn't believe her.
>
> Ask me if I'm surprised. . .
>
> Susan in Dallas

Gary Fortenberry

Jun 14, 2007, 10:50:37 AM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Just a little background, for what it's worth.

I was selected to represent my region (I) at a meeting that was held in Houston last September, at which time this discussion about realignment was broached. It was the consensus among those there that realignment was needed for a couple of reasons:

1) To make the regions make more geographical sense with regard to travel.

2) To try and balance the number of medium size schools in each region. The problem is that unless a region has 5 competing schools in it, the region winner doesn't get an automatic bid to state. Of course, the point was made that region winners shouldn't necessarily get an automatic bid anyway, but that the best 30 schools should be the ones to advance. In my opinion, that argument has merit, but of course the other side of the coin is that the automatic qualifier rule can build momentum for AcaDec in areas of the state where it isn't so established. Regardless on the opinions on that issue, this was a motivating force behind this realignment.

For those of us out west, AcaDec unfortunately isn't growing, but rather contracting. Since I first started coaching 11 years ago, we have lost large schools from Abilene (Abilene High and Cooper), San Angelo (Central), Amarillo (Amarillo High, Tascosa, and Caprock), and medium schools from Snyder, Andrews, and Plainview, and some small schools as well. So our regional competition is getting smaller and smaller. I keep wondering when they will collapse our region altogether and send us either to El Paso or the Western part of the Metroplex. But that hasn't happened yet. In short, many of the districts out here have pulled their support for AcaDec, so that's part of the reason (I suppose), that poor Leander is being faced with a drive to Odessa next January.

With regard to the transmission of information. Each region was to select a coach from each division, to represent that region at the aforementioned meeting, and then the coach was to report back to their region what was decided. So perhaps a coach wasn't selected, or that coach didn't go to the meeting, or perhaps they went but didn't pass on the information to the other coaches.

Anyway, I thought that a little more information might be in order.

Gary D. Fortenberry
Science Dept. Chair
Academic Decathlon Coach
Monterey High School

________________________________

Jun 14, 2007, 12:37:30 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
You are not alone, sir.

Dean Webb

Dean Webb

Jun 14, 2007, 12:37:31 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information and, yes, we need to be geographically-minded.

I would like it, though, if we were dealing with growing pains rather than
contracting cramps. It's a great program and I'd like to know what's being
done to reactivate the program where it used to be and to grow it where it
isn't currently.

I'm a nut and check that site regularly for these things that's how I knew.

Go to Txacadec.org and check out the "Dates to Remember" section.

winmail.dat

Gary Fortenberry

Jun 14, 2007, 12:41:04 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely yes. I think it's a pity that these schools have given up their programs. The administrations at those districts give money as the basis for their decisions, but from my viewpoint, I haven't seen much that schools do that have as great a cost to benefit ratio for students as does AcaDec.

Gary D. Fortenberry
Science Dept. Chair
Academic Decathlon Coach
Monterey High School

________________________________

winmail.dat

she...@aol.com

Jun 14, 2007, 12:49:28 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I was sent several emails and invitations on the
subject.

Kim Peters
San Antonio, TX

David

from AOL at AOL.com.

David Gear

Jun 14, 2007, 1:57:01 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
From whom?  I'd love to get my name on that contact list.

For the record:  I wholly support the realignment as it is right now and hope the state office stays resolved to keep it this way.

David Gear
AcDec Coach
Rockwall High School

she...@aol.com

Jun 14, 2007, 2:17:35 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
I got it from the state office and from the large school rep., Terri
Zablocki, and I believe Brian Lawrence (but don't hold me to the last
citation).

Kim Peters

San Antonio, TX

rho...@pisd.edu

David

from AOL at AOL.com.

=0

t.zab...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 14, 2007, 3:49:52 PM6/14/07
to Academic Decathlon Coaches
Yep, I am the Region IV large school rep. I sent out an e-mail
asking for concerns/ points of view to all who attended our regional
meet. Originally, the meeting was not open to coaches or
administrators. One had to receive an invitation from state
director. I had major concerns about the process, and asked our
district administrators who sit on the TAD board to follow the issue.
Subsequently, the "invitation" was published on the webpage to include
any coach or administrator. Fortunately, our district was kind
enough to send a top level adminstrator to attend the meeting. This
administrator will also be present for the follow up presentation at
the TAD board of directors meeting June 25 (Austin, I believe.) If
anyone wishes to ensure the realignment holds, any reinforcement of
your positions by your school district reps. on the TAD would be the
most effective route. The Texas website does state that changes to
the plan would only be considered if school districts had been split
or if UIL classification changes.
Background: I am a former debate coach who was stunned at last
year's coaches representative meeting. TAD does not publish agendas,
minutes, etc. There are no governing by-laws that I could
ascertain. Ad-hoc, on-the-fly decisions appear to be the norm. Our
region has consistently lost participating schools and districts.

On Jun 14, 1:17 pm, shea...@aol.com wrote:
> I got it from the state office and from the large school rep., Terri
> Zablocki, and I believe Brian Lawrence (but don't hold me to the last
> citation).

David Gear

Jun 14, 2007, 4:02:58 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
I count 7 districts that have been split between regions (6 in DFW).  I bet the realignment won't hold for this reason although I hope it does.

Dean Webb

Jun 14, 2007, 10:03:41 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
See, now if I'd been there, I would have suggested making that AcDec pie
bigger to accomodate more schools. I know Dallas ISD has a district
competition to determine which ten of their schools will advance to a
regional competition. Why not have DISD be its own region, along with
hosting the small schools from Region XII? The other large schools from
Region XII could be partitioned among Regions VIII, IX, and X.

Are there any other districts that limit the nuber of their schools they
send on? If we're complaining about limited participation in regional meets,
why not have all the schools with teams go on to regionals? I'll grant that
most don't have a shot at making state, but if all AcDec is about is getting
high points, then I'm coaching the wrong extracurricular.

If getting judges or proctors is difficult, then perhaps the state
organization can lend a hand at collecting judges. Or am I unschooled in the
subject of how burdened the state organization is already? If so, then I
humbly ask for an education. At any rate, the program should be growing.
Rather, the program should have *been* grown and it should be maintaining
right now.

Make the pie bigger. That's what makes a negotiation more successful.

Todd Decker

Jun 14, 2007, 11:19:36 PM6/14/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
How many schools participate in AD in Texas?

We (Arizona) usually have between 90 and 100. Every school gets to compete
in a Regional Competition (we have four Regional Competitions in the State),
and the top 40 schools compete at the State Competition.

When I started coaching 18 years ago, we did not have a district
competition. So, when our kids went to the Regional Competition, we did not
know what to expect. After a few years of that, we (two other coaches and
myself) started up a district competition so that our kids would get more
experience and have a fighting chance, and that certainly helped. We did it
all ourselves, organizing judges, volunteers, food, etc. Sheesh! I was a
lot younger and had a lot more energy back then, and I also didn't have
three boys yet! About seven years ago, I was finally able to convince my
district to allocate funds and help to put on our annual district
competition. Just in the past couple of years we have finally been able to
get all 10 of our district schools to field teams. It's been a long road,
and it has taken a lot of work. I still put in a lot of time helping to run
our district tournament every year, but I have gotten (you can tell I'm NOT
an English teacher, right?) SO MUCH out of doing this all these years--I
have learned FAR more as an AD coach than I ever learned in college, and I
know our kids have benefitted from our time and effort.

We also go to various "Invitational" tournaments that some schools have at
different times of the year (usually in-between our district tournament in
November and Regionals in February). That's been fun, too. It keeps the
kids fresh, and gives them more to do.

Oh, I almost forgot. We let every student in each of our 10 district
schools compete at our district tournament. Some schools have over 30 kids
in their programs, some only have 6, but everyone gets to compete, and
everyone has a chance to medal. The team scores are still computed by
taking the top two scores from each of the three levels, so it all comes out
in the wash. There is usually a medal winner from every school, which is
quite different from our State Competition where it is extremely difficult
to medal.

Todd Decker
South Mountain High School
Phoenix, AZ

Dean Webb

Jun 15, 2007, 5:20:28 PM6/15/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Say, how does one volunteer for this sort of thing? I got a hankerin' to
give it a go. I know some interested alumni, as well.

Shanon Blosch

Jun 15, 2007, 5:24:21 PM6/15/07