New, New Texas Minglewood Blues

Dean Webb

Jul 17, 2007, 10:21:33 AM7/17/07
to Acadeccoaches
Just got this from Sue Edwards by way of my school district's coordinator.

Region XI is missing (I think) because it's all small schools and didn't get
modified.

Dallas is now entirely back in Region X, Frisco, Mesquite, and Duncanville
now in Region IX, and I lied about Frisco, because its small schools are in
Region XII.

So Pearce gets to clean up in medium school competition in Region X, as
usual... unless Rockwall Heath comes out of nowhere to dominate the dojo.

NEW REGIONS with Hosts - FINAL.xls

dor...@tx.rr.com

Jul 17, 2007, 1:49:14 PM7/17/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com, Dean Webb
OK - What happened here? This doesn't look ANYTHING like what we worked on at the meeting. Lewisville ISD (my district) and Carrollton ISD are now with schools in East Texas.

Dorrie Loughborough
Marcus High School
Lewisville ISD

Dean Webb

Jul 17, 2007, 2:33:03 PM7/17/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
I had a forwarded email between Rockwall's coordinator, Sue Edwards, and my
coordinator. Rockwall and DISD raised issues and Sue Edwards took them under
consideration in re-doing the regional alignment.

And, yes, you're now in the same region with Tyler and Lufkin... I don't
know what to make of it.

The list is posted at www.txacadec.org as the updated realignment.

David Gear

Jul 18, 2007, 9:44:24 PM7/18/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Rockwall, to my knowledge, had no issue.  Dean, I'd like to see that email.  What issues would we have?  And as of 3 weeks ago, Heath had no coach and no team members.
--
David Gear
Academic Decathlon Coach

Susan Embler

Jul 18, 2007, 11:48:33 PM7/18/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
It sure would have been easier to move Hillcrest over with the rest of the DISD schools.  Now we will still get our butts kicked.

OY

Susan at Skyline

Dean Webb

Jul 21, 2007, 12:54:34 PM7/21/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
Rockwall ISD, of course, not the High School... email sent via private channel, and that's what I saw...

And I ain't delawaring you guys, either. :-)

Scott Greenwood

Jul 22, 2007, 1:57:21 PM7/22/07
to Academic Decathlon Coaches
I had heard some rumors of this about 10 days ago out of my
superintendents office (his assistant copied me on a memo sent to the
Wakeland and Liberty coaches about the presence of JP2 in their new
region). I couldn't get confirmation out of his office as they all
went on vacation the day the memo was sent out. So as Dean
sez...Definitely not a Delaware! :o)

Some of the decisions seem to be driven by the site of the host as
well. It would make the most sense to send the Frisco ISD and
McKinney ISD schools to Region 12 as well...that way you have the
entire north central metroplex going to the same region. HOWEVER,
Aubrey HS is the traditional host of that Region and the campus is a
2A size school. Not enough room in the facility to host a 3A/4A/5A
competition. The presence of the 5A schools from East Texas IS
puzzling, but I guess since they are in northern East Texas, sliding
them this way is sorta reasonable. Oops...missed Lufkin...they should
have been sent to one of the Houston regions...? Northwest should
have been sent to Region 8, but my understanding is that they might be
a possibility for a region host in the future if Aubrey decides not to
be "traditional hosts" anymore...

Anyway, I think you have to include the regional host possibilities
into the mix of figuring out why the re-alignment turned out this
way...don't know if this helps anyone who is frustrated with the
outcome.

Scott

On Jul 21, 11:54 am, "Dean Webb" <deanw...@zzzptm.com> wrote:
> Rockwall ISD, of course, not the High School... email sent via private
> channel, and that's what I saw...
>
> And I ain't delawaring you guys, either. :-)

Gary Fortenberry

Jul 22, 2007, 5:03:21 PM7/22/07
to acadec...@googlegroups.com
My bet is that Scott is right. In my limited experience in dealing with these kinds of things, it would appear that finding schools/districts/coordinators to host regional competitions is difficult, and that difficulty seems to drive some of these types of decisions.

Gary D. Fortenberry
Science Dept. Chair
Academic Decathlon Coach
Monterey High School