Archival Screening Night at ACA conference

Rachel E. Beattie

Feb 26, 2019, 9:27:55 AM2/26/19
to ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
Hi all,

So so far we have only one submission for the archival screening night.  I am going to send a reminder today but I am wondering if we should extend the deadline?  I know that we have a tight turnaround because we need to give the Media Common's tech lots of time to wrangle to the clips. But maybe more time would help?

Please let me know, as soon as you can, what your thoughts are!  And also, to those on here who were asking if it was appropriate for SMI SIS members to submit an entry?  Please submit one!! We need them!

Thanks!

best

Rachel E. Beattie

Pronouns: She/her

Toronto is situated on the traditional land of the Huron-Wendat, the Seneca, and the Mississaugas of the Credit River. I am grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on this land.

Krista Jamieson

Feb 26, 2019, 9:29:14 AM2/26/19
to Rachel E. Beattie, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
I think we should extend the deadline by a week or two and send out weekly reminders so people don’t forget.

Sent from my iPhone

Rachel E. Beattie

Feb 26, 2019, 9:46:41 AM2/26/19
to Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
I agree that we should extend it.  I have to run to a meeting right now but I did speak to the MC's tech Mark about how long he needs to work with all the various clips.  We decided that the hard deadline for people getting their actual films to him will be May 22nd, so we can work back from there to set the date that we notify people and to set the deadline for proposals based on knowing that date  (hope that all makes sense, am typing in a rush).

best

Christina Stewart

Feb 26, 2019, 11:26:20 AM2/26/19
to Rachel E. Beattie, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
Hi Everyone,

I agree, let's extend the deadline by a week or two and I think that members of this committee who want to submit then that would be great.

Thanks,
Christina

Rachel E. Beattie

Feb 26, 2019, 11:38:41 AM2/26/19
to Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
How about extending the deadline to March 15th?  Then we could commit to notifying successful proposals by April 19th and then they have till May 22 to get them to us?  Or we could extend to March 22nd because a small number of proposals means the selection will be super easy.

Caroline - do you know when LAC staff will know if they are able to go or not?  I get that that could definitely play a factor in whether a proposal is submitted.

I will send out an email about extending the deadline today so please let me know as soon as possible:

Is April 19th suitable for the date we notify successful proposals?

Should we make the new deadline March 15th or 22nd?

Once we set these dates I will send the email and then send weekly reminder emails.  I apologize for not already sending one. Our email went out so early in the new year that it may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

best

Krista Jamieson

Feb 26, 2019, 1:18:39 PM2/26/19
to Forcier-Holloway, Caroline (BAC/LAC), Rachel E. Beattie, Christina Stewart, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
March 22 sounds good to me. And we can send weekly reminders so people don’t forget.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2019, at 10:04 AM, Forcier-Holloway, Caroline (BAC/LAC) <caroline.for...@canada.ca> wrote:

I apologize but I’m still experiencing problems with the SMISIS email address, so I think that my email didn’t reach everyone but Krista and Rachel.

Sorry, but we won’t know for at least several weeks about conference attendance confirmation.

I would suggest extending till March 22.

Caroline Forcier Holloway

Archiviste principale, Collection audio-visuelle, Direction générale des Archives
Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
caroline.for...@canada.ca / Tél. : 819-934-7260

Senior Archivist, Audiovisual Collection, Archives Branch
Library and Archives Canada / Government of Canada
caroline.for...@canada.ca / Tel: 819-934-7260

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/events/PublishingImages/banner.jpg

Shyla Seller

Feb 27, 2019, 5:03:15 PM2/27/19
to Krista Jamieson, Forcier-Holloway, Caroline (BAC/LAC), Rachel E. Beattie, Christina Stewart, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
hi everyone,
I submitted an entry and am encouraging SFU Archives to submit one as well; I believe they will get something together for the new deadline.
Shyla

Shyla and Jenn

Dec 3, 2019, 5:41:54 PM12/3/19
to Rachel E. Beattie, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
hi members of the ACA's sound and moving image SIS,
I am wondering what people think about trying to host another archival screening night at the 2020 conference, considering how successful the Media Commons event was last year? I spoke with Alan Doyle, the program committee chair, and he said he would welcome a pitch from us, one that stated our room and tech needs, and then he could see what might work on the UBC campus. So I'm reaching out to see if anyone might be interested in working on a pitch to the committee, and thinking through what our needs would be for this event if it were accepted.
Any thoughts?
Shyla

Krista Jamieson

Dec 3, 2019, 5:48:02 PM12/3/19
to Shyla and Jenn, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, Rachel E. Beattie
I am absolutely supportive of trying to make this an annual thing!

I can help with creating a submission form, communications, etc. I will not be able to help on the editing or room planning stuff.

Rachel E. Beattie

Dec 3, 2019, 6:00:42 PM12/3/19
to Shyla and Jenn, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
Hi Shyla,

Thanks so much for this! It would make me so happy if this was an annual thing!!

I would be very happy to help with the proposal and any questions about how it went last year but I most likely won't be able to go to the conference this year so I won't be able to help with anything on the ground in Vancouver.

best

Grazley, Jana

Dec 3, 2019, 6:16:13 PM12/3/19
to Rachel E. Beattie, Shyla and Jenn, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS

Hi Shyla and everyone,

I’d also love to see this become an annual event! I’m happy to help with the proposal (though I wasn’t at the conference or event last year) and with on-the-ground stuff in Vancouver.

Jana

Jana Grazley

Digital Archivist

City of Vancouver Archives

604.829.4263

http://vancouver.ca/archives

Acknowledging the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ / sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh)

Dec 3, 2019, 6:45:52 PM12/3/19
to Grazley, Jana, Rachel E. Beattie, Shyla and Jenn, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS
I’m in (again)! Great event last time! Yes to making it an annual thing!
Jonathan Wise
Canadian Museum of History

Dec 4, 2019, 10:22:23 AM12/4/19
to Shyla and Jenn, Rachel E. Beattie, Christina Stewart, Krista Jamieson, ACA's Sound and Moving Image SIS

Hi,

I left LAC and the Archives world.

Please take me out of the distribution list.

Kind regards,

Nicolas Granger-Gothscheck
Analyst, Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund | Analyste, Fonds d’atténuation et d’adaptation en matière de catastrophes

Program Operations | Opérations des programmes

Infrastructure Canada | www.infrastructure.gc.ca
180 Kent St. Suite 1100, Ottawa, ON K1P 0B6 | 180 rue Kent, Suite 1100, Ottawa, ON K1P 0B6
nicolas.grang...@canada.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 343-542-6469