Assembling single end reads in abyss

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 5, 2012, 3:11:06 PM3/5/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi All,

I am assembling my single end read using the ABYSS. I have sequenced using illumina single end sequencing. I was assebling and I got this error. Any suggestion on how to resolve this error. As Shaun suggested earlier in a post that how to assemble the single end reads using paired end feature so i used the same.
root@calculus:~/gaurav$ abyss-pe name=217 k=28 n=10 in=217.fastq assembly-3.fa
ABYSS -k28 -q3  --coverage-hist=coverage.hist -s assembly-bubbles.fa  -o assembly-1.fa 217.fastq
ABySS 1.3.2
ABYSS -k28 -q3 --coverage-hist=coverage.hist -s assembly-bubbles.fa -o assembly-1.fa 217.fastq
Reading `217.fastq'...
217.fastq:86206077: error: expected `+' and saw end-of-file
make: *** [assembly-1.fa] Error 1

Thanks
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 12:36:41 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Gaurav,

Can you report what is the last 8 lines of your FASTQ file?
tail -n 8 217.fastq

It's possible that your FASTQ file is truncated.

Ka Ming

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 12:41:02 PM3/6/12
to Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Ming,

Hes is the last lines
-------------------------------
root@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$ tail -n 8 217.fastq
CATTGAAGCAGATGGTGCCGTAGTTGGTTGAGAAGGAAAGAGGGTGGACCTCGACACCGAGAGTAGCGATGTATTTTTTCTCGAATTCACCGTTCAACAG
+
ffeefccfeefcdefaefef^bcbdeccTaVWUY^bbaaaQ_a`GZXO`U_ZT_BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
@HWI-ST261:3:42:1600:139196#TGACCA/1
AGAAGATCACGTCTGCTGAGGCTCGCAAGCTCAAGAAGGAGCGCATGGCACGGAAAAAGCGAGGCGGGGAGGAAACCGACGATGACGTGGAAAGAACACC
+
N^c^cddbf^ceccgcgcfafggdgdfWWfedeed_ccc\c^bccNcccbS]a\aBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Thanks,
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 12:42:11 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Never mind about my last message, I saw your same message on another thread...

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 12:45:18 PM3/6/12
to Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Ming,

I am getting this problem again. How to solve this problem.

Best regards,
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 1:06:17 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, Ka Ming Nip, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Gaurav,

Can you tell me how many lines are there in 217.fastq?
wc -l 217.fastq

Ka Ming

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 1:10:05 PM3/6/12
to Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Ming,
--------------------
root@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$ wc -l 217.fastq
86206076 217.fastq
-----------------
Thanks,
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 1:16:45 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, Ka Ming Nip, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Ok, I get it now.

1. Your error message was:

Reading `217.fastq'...
217.fastq:86206077: error: expected `+' and saw end-of-file

2. The tail -n 8 command returned 7 non-empty lines instead 8 lines.

3. wc -l return 86206076 lines

Please remove the extra empty line at the end of the FASTQ file.

Ka Ming

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 1:24:14 PM3/6/12
to Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Ming,

I removed the empty line using sed '/^$/d' 217.fastq > 217removed.fastq. Is it OK or I should use any other method.

Best,
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 1:32:19 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, Ka Ming Nip, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Gaurav,

Yes, let's give that a shot. After that, please try `tail -n 8 217removed.fastq` and see if you are getting 8 lines now.

Ka Ming

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 2:00:05 PM3/6/12
to Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Ming,

I got this:
-----------------------------
root@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$ tail -n 8 217removed.fastq
CATTGAAGCAGATGGTGCCGTAGTTGGTTGAGAAGGAAAGAGGGTGGACCTCGACACCGAGAGTAGCGATGTATTTTTTCTCGAATTCACCGTTCAACAG
+
ffeefccfeefcdefaefef^bcbdeccTaVWUY^bbaaaQ_a`GZXO`U_ZT_BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
@HWI-ST261:3:42:1600:139196#TGACCA/1
AGAAGATCACGTCTGCTGAGGCTCGCAAGCTCAAGAAGGAGCGCATGGCACGGAAAAAGCGAGGCGGGGAGGAAACCGACGATGACGTGGAAAGAACACC
+
N^c^cddbf^ceccgcgcfafggdgdfWWfedeed_ccc\c^bccNcccbS]a\aBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
-------------------------
Thanks,
Gaurav

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 6, 2012, 2:33:17 PM3/6/12
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, Ka Ming Nip, tray...@bcgsc.ca
Hi Gaurav,

Can you run this command?
tail -n 8 217.fastq | cat -e

If there are space characters in the last line, the dollar sign character '$' would be shifted like so:

@HWI-ST261:3:42:1600:139196#TGACCA/1$
AGAAGATCACGTCTGCTGAGGCTCGCAAGCTCAAGAAGGAGCGCATGGCACGGAAAAAGCGAGGCGGGGAGGAAACCGACGATGACGTGGAAAGAACACC$
+$
N^c^cddbf^ceccgcgcfafggdgdfWWfedeed_ccc\c^bccNcccbS]a\aBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB$
              $

If that is the case, then try this:
sed '/^ *$/d' 217.fastq > 217removed2.fastq
tail -n 8 217removed2.fastq

Ka Ming

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 2:38:41 PM3/6/12

--------------------------------------
gauravs@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$ tail -n 8 217.fastq | cat -e
CATTGAAGCAGATGGTGCCGTAGTTGGTTGAGAAGGAAAGAGGGTGGACCTCGACACCGAGAGTAGCGATGTATTTTTTCTCGAATTCACCGTTCAACAG$
+$
ffeefccfeefcdefaefef^bcbdeccTaVWUY^bbaaaQ_a`GZXO`U_ZT_BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB$

@HWI-ST261:3:42:1600:139196#TGACCA/1$
AGAAGATCACGTCTGCTGAGGCTCGCAAGCTCAAGAAGGAGCGCATGGCACGGAAAAAGCGAGGCGGGGAGGAAACCGACGATGACGTGGAAAGAACACC$
+$
N^c^cddbf^ceccgcgcfafggdgdfWWfedeed_ccc\c^bccNcccbS]a\aBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB$
@HWI-STgauravs@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$
------------------------------------
Thanks,
Gaurav

Tony Raymond

Mar 6, 2012, 2:46:11 PM3/6/12
to Dr. Gaurav Sablok, Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaurav,

The file is truncated. The last line is actually "@HWI-ST" without a new line character at the end of it so it is getting merged with "gauravs@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$". You will need to regenerate the file.

Tony

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 3:02:15 PM3/6/12
to Tony Raymond, Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

I tried again
--------
gauravs@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$ tail -n 8 217removed2.fastq

CATTGAAGCAGATGGTGCCGTAGTTGGTTGAGAAGGAAAGAGGGTGGACCTCGACACCGAGAGTAGCGATGTATTTTTTCTCGAATTCACCGTTCAACAG
+
ffeefccfeefcdefaefef^bcbdeccTaVWUY^bbaaaQ_a`GZXO`U_ZT_BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
@HWI-ST261:3:42:1600:139196#TGACCA/1
AGAAGATCACGTCTGCTGAGGCTCGCAAGCTCAAGAAGGAGCGCATGGCACGGAAAAAGCGAGGCGGGGAGGAAACCGACGATGACGTGGAAAGAACACC
+
N^c^cddbf^ceccgcgcfafggdgdfWWfedeed_ccc\c^bccNcccbS]a\aBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
@HWI-STgauravs@calculus:~/gaurav/assembly/217$
------------------------
Thanks,
Gaurav

Tony Raymond

Mar 6, 2012, 3:07:26 PM3/6/12
to Dr. Gaurav Sablok, Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com
Ah, it appears that the last line of your file 217.fastq is truncated. That is the file which needs to be regenerated. You can also remove the last line and the assembly should work, but you will be missing any reads that should follow the last line of the 217.fastq file.

Cheers,

Tony

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Ka Ming Nip <km...@bcgsc.ca<mailto:km...@bcgsc.ca><mailto:km...@bcgsc.ca<mailto:km...@bcgsc.ca>>> wrote:
Ok, I get it now.

1. Your error message was:

Reading `217.fastq'...
217.fastq:86206077: error: expected `+' and saw end-of-file

2. The tail -n 8 command returned 7 non-empty lines instead 8 lines.

3. wc -l return 86206076 lines

Please remove the extra empty line at the end of the FASTQ file.

Ka Ming

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:10:05 AM UTC-8, Gaurav wrote:
Hi Ming,
--------------------

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:45:18 AM UTC-8, Gaurav wrote:
Hi Ming,

I am getting this problem again. How to solve this problem.

Best regards,
Gaurav

Dr. Gaurav Sablok

Mar 6, 2012, 3:52:39 PM3/6/12
to Tony Raymond, Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com
So, how to regenerate the file without deleting any reads. Any suggestion?. I was thinking of deleting the empyt line using perl
perl  -00  -pe ' ' 217.fastq or using awk.

What you suggest.

Best regards,
Gaurav

Tony Raymond

Mar 6, 2012, 3:56:23 PM3/6/12
to Dr. Gaurav Sablok, Ka Ming Nip, abyss...@googlegroups.com
`head -n -1 217.fastq >217removed3.fastq` will remove the last line and let you continue with the assembly. How was the 217.fastq file generated in the first place?

Tony

esteban429

Jun 18, 2014, 6:33:13 PM6/18/14
to abyss...@googlegroups.com, sab...@gmail.com, km...@bcgsc.ca
Hi all,
I am currently attempting Abyss for the first time and am experiencing the same problem.  I have two .fastq files (one for forward short read data and one for revere), and gave the command [abyss-pe k=21 n=10 in='PJX022.removed.fastq PJX022.2point5Percent.R2.fastq' name=2.5percnt.k21c], without the [] of course, and repeatedly get the error message that states: [PJX022.removed.fastq:4902297: error: expected `+' and saw end-of-file].  I tried truncating the fast files, as per your suggestions, but I still get the error code.  I would like to note that these fastq files did work for Velvet and Soap deNovo.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:56:23 PM UTC-5, tray...@bcgsc.ca wrote:
`head -n -1 217.fastq >217removed3.fastq` will remove the last line and let you continue with the assembly. How was the 217.fastq file generated in the first place?

Tony

Ka Ming Nip

Jun 18, 2014, 7:00:13 PM6/18/14
to esteban429, abyss...@googlegroups.com, sab...@gmail.com
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for using ABySS.

You would see this error when the last read of the FASTQ file is incomplete.
Can you please run the following commands report the results?

tail -n8 PJX022.removed.fastq PJX022.2point5Percent.R2.fastq
wc -l PJX022.removed.fastq PJX022.2point5Percent.R2.fastq

The number of lines of the FASTQ files should be a multiple of 4 and the last 4 lines should be in this format:

@example
ATCGATCG
+
BBCCDDEE

It is likely that your FASTQ files were truncated, which could happen when the FASTQ generation process was interrupted.

Thanks,
Ka Ming

Elena Bushmanova

Jun 2, 2017, 1:58:15 PM6/2/17
to ABySS, esteb...@gmail.com, sab...@gmail.com
"sed '$d' reads.fq > reads.removed.fq" helps me!