Discussion: Gantt view parent calculated dates

zajchap

Mar 16, 2016, 5:35:45 AM3/16/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
I have a question re the Gantt view.  I am wondering whether the following is expected behaviour or a bug.

Should parent tasks show the calculated dates of their children, if their children are filtered away?

My use case.
I have a projects in a task list.  The project has phases (Tag "Phase").  The phase has multiple tasks as children, and the start and end date are calculated from those children.
In Gantt view, I sometimes want to see both phases and tasks.  TDL works fine for this.
Sometimes I want to see only the Phases.  I want to filter on "Phase", and see a simplified Gantt showing only phases, with their calculated dates.  Currently when the filter is applied, the date range disappears.  I could not apply the filter and collapse the tree, but this is a lot more work.

So, is this the expected behaviour?

Ideally for me, the calculated values should remain.
And if I had a wish, the bars would look like tasks rather than parents, but this is probably not standard.

NoFilterExpanded.png
NoFilterCollapsed.png
FilteredOnPhase.png

.dan.g.

Mar 27, 2016, 4:36:03 AM3/27/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Unfortunately, the current design of the Gantt plugin relies on the presence of subtasks to know that a parent is a parent.

And because your filter is removing the subtasks, the Gantt view doesn't 'know' that what remains are in fact parents.

Also, in the absence of the subtasks, the Gantt view would not know how to calculate the 'extent' of the parent.

It's one of the inherent problems with the plugin architecture as it currently stands - each plugin only gets to see the filtered tasks and has no idea that these are not the entire tasklist.

I'm open to exploring solution but it's probably too late for 7.1.

zajchap

Mar 29, 2016, 6:41:17 AM3/29/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thanks Dan.
I understand why this would be.  I'll need to think how I can get around it.

.dan.g.

Mar 29, 2016, 7:22:10 PM3/29/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx for your understanding.

Interestingly this also segues into another discussion around having filtered tasks only show filtered calculations.

Except in this case you would want the opposite. ie, regardless of what subtasks are visible (including none), always calculate the parent dates for all its subtasks. Makes it tricky to find a majority solution but again I am open to debate.

zaj chap

Mar 29, 2016, 7:59:40 PM3/29/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

Interesting indeed.   And I would have use for both, potentially in the same tasklist, in different views.

An  option would be to have this in the 'options' in the filter bar.  Although to two options are exclusive I.e. 'or rather than 'and'.

Actually thinking about this further, having this easily accessible would be very useful.   I might want to see cost of the filtered subtasks (I.e. cost remaining) and then see the total cost.  Same for dates.

A challenge would be how to indicate. Which option is currently applied.

Sent with SolMail App

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Wiki and other resources: https://github.com/abstractspoon/ToDoList_Wiki/wiki

.dan.g.

Mar 29, 2016, 8:26:20 PM3/29/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, zaj...@gmail.com
>> And I would have use for both, potentially in the same tasklist, in different views.

Or even in the same view I can imagine people saying "Show me the filtered estimated/spent times, but the unfiltered dates".

>> A challenge would be how to indicate. Which option is currently applied.

I'm glad someone else recognises that just adding functionality is only part of the story ;)

ps. There are also some attribute calculations that depend on other attribute calculations which makes it yet more interesting.

However, this discussion has generated some ideas that may produce a way forward...

Many thx J

.dan.g.

Apr 14, 2016, 8:32:13 PM4/14/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, zaj...@gmail.com
Have you noticed any UI performance hit since I disabled calculation caching in DR7?

zajchap

Apr 15, 2016, 4:23:34 PM4/15/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, zaj...@gmail.com
I haven't, although I haven't been doing masses of work, and been working with relatively small tasklists recently (~100 tasks).

.dan.g.

Apr 17, 2016, 8:39:48 PM4/17/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, zaj...@gmail.com
No worries.

.dan.g.

Apr 20, 2016, 9:48:19 PM4/20/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Just been thinking that I can infer parents in the Gantt view by comparing the parent's actual dates with their calculated dates (earliest start/latest due), which always encompass all tasks.

ie. if the calculated dates are different from the actual assigned dates then it must be a parent.

Then I could combine this with a Gantt preference to use the parent's 'pre-calculated' dates in place of doing its own calculations.

zaj chap

Apr 21, 2016, 4:10:48 AM4/21/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

That sounds like a plan indeed.  Fantastic.

Sent with SolMail App

May 1, 2016, 7:27:57 AM5/1/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, zaj...@gmail.com
Fixed in 7.1.A1?