Suggestion: Auto-Correct Option

Oliver Sahr

Nov 11, 2015, 1:55:56 AM11/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

at work I am using ToDoList to track bugs and suggestions for an application an colleague of mine is programming.

One feature I really love in Word is that I just need to type "-->" and this is replaced automatically with a symbol in the font "Wingdings".
I often use this symbol in ToDoList to symbolize the consequences.

At the moment I have to press [Shift]+[´] (apostrophe) key and after that the [a] key to get the "à" character.
Then I have to select this character and change the font to "Wingdings".
Then I have the requested arrow.

Of cause I can copy this symbol if it is already in the comments of the current task.
But in most cases I don't have an arrow in the comment (I am creating a new bug report).

And even when I have such an arrow symbol in my comments I would have to move the curso up, select the arrow, copy it, move back to the position where it should be pasted and paste it.
Typing "-->" and a [blank] is much faster here.

Next advantage: users can define own entries in this list.
Like application names, names of companies or departments.

Greetings

OLLI

Hotmail

Nov 11, 2015, 2:28:59 AM11/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

Tools like AutoHotKey and AutoIT would be a perfect solution for things like this.

http://ahkscript.org/

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/

Pierre

Tony G

Nov 11, 2015, 3:53:08 PM11/11/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
And I've been using PhraseExpress for years for this as well. It's free for non-commercial use.
http://www.phraseexpress.com/
I'm crippled when it's turned off or I'm on another system.

Hotmail

Nov 11, 2015, 4:04:22 PM11/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

another small Freeware to handle Text-snippets:

https://sites.google.com/site/ultratceditors/fast_typing

Oliver Sahr

Nov 11, 2015, 5:04:07 PM11/11/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hello,

installing any separate tool just to replace the "-->" with an other symbol in Wingdings is a bit oversized.
Especially because I have to install this tool at home, at work and also give it to 3 other colleagues at work.
And I also have to deliver the "replacement definitions (what should be replaced) form those tools to all computers.
So I would prefer an internal solution.

Greetings

OLLI

Tony G

Nov 11, 2015, 5:16:07 PM11/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
I believe this same request was made at CodeProject so you might want to do a search on the forum there.

My personal sentiment is that if ToDoList is enhanced to support hotkeys for text replacement, you get a single program with a cool feature. But if you install a separate utility, dedicated to the purpose, then All of the applications you use on those other systems benefit. As I said, I use this stuff all day long and it's not just with this one program.

All that said, this is Dan's software, let's see what he says.

HTH

.dan.g.

Nov 12, 2015, 1:32:16 AM11/12/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I'm sorry Olli, but this sort of functionality is beyond the scope of the comments field.

It is/was never meant to be anything more than WordPad.