Suggestion: make "Recurrence" / "Occurs" consistent

simplenuity

Aug 8, 2016, 9:34:44 PM8/8/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

I just came across the case that I wanted to edit the visibility of the column "Occurs".
When I opened the "Attribute Visibility" window I was looking for "Occurs" but couldn't find it. I ultimately figured it out that I needed to look for "Recurrence".

To avoid this - admittedly minor - confusion I would like to suggest to use consistent terminology for all three labels.

Thanks for your consideration,
Ryan

.dan.g.

Aug 9, 2016, 3:56:21 AM8/9/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Ryan

I hear you but it's tricky.

1. If I change the column title to 'Recurrence' then we have a wide column with a lot of wasted space. And if the user then resizes the column smaller they end up with 'Rec...' which is less than helpful

2. And if I change the attribute name to 'Occurs' then (to me) that just sounds wrong.

One possibility might be to include the abbreviated name after the full name in the Visibility dialog eg 'Recurrence (Occurs)'. But then (for completeness) I would have to also render the icons for Priority, Risk, File Link, etc

Or I could change 'Occurs' to 'Recurs'...

Dan

Tom

Aug 9, 2016, 11:52:50 AM8/9/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Repeat

--
Our problems are manmade; therefore, they can be solved by man.---JFK 1963.

simplenuity

Aug 9, 2016, 5:12:16 PM8/9/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into this.

I did realize the space problem and even looked up official abbreviations for recurrence. All I found was Rec. But I don't consider it as intuitive enough to be used as general column title.

Google Calendar is using "Repeat..." as Tom suggested.

At the moment your idea to rename the column to "Recurs" seems to be the best solution. That insures the visibility setting can be easily found even if someone looks for "Recurrence" and it still doesn't need more space :)

Ryan

Tony G

Aug 11, 2016, 2:54:40 PM8/11/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I agree with Dan's considerations. I'm also thinking about translations - while we are discussing the length of "Occurs" vs "Recurrence" or "Recurs", translations of these words will have different lengths. This is a common situation but my point is that this situation makes the length or even the text of any given string in English rather arbitrary.

While I was documenting the translation process I created a new language file and added my own words for some of the fields. I'd suggest that with this capability, anyone who is disturbed by specific text can easily change it. The wording issue here is just being brought up after years of Recurrences being a feature so I don't think it's bothering people enough for a product mod.

If a mod is required, I'll propose a solution that eliminates all of these concerns: Use an icon just like with other shorter fields. Maybe a circle with an arrow on it to show it's going around.

HTH