Suggestion: Gant View Enhancements

mikro

Apr 18, 2018, 10:27:44 AM4/18/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am working with Gant View frequently and would very much appreciate the following enhancements to improve readability und flexibility.

1.1) Option to show Task Name beside Gant shapes
Now there is the option to show the 'allocated to' beside the task shape.
It would be great to be able to show the 'Task Name' instead, like so:

1.2) Option to show Task Name beside Gant rollups
Same as above but seperately for the rollup bars.

2) Option to maintain the arrows of task links if group is collapsed as rollup
The improvement would be to give an option to keep the link arrows between task from diffrent groups showing even if collapsed as rollup.
At the moment the arrows are not drawn if the targeted task is collapsed in a rollup.

At the moment

collapsing the source tasks looks like this

Realy handy to illustrate large plans would be

3) Option the show shape text if group is collapsed as rollup
An option to maintain the text beside the gant shape would be great to reduce the space needed to show a larger projekt plan.

This Option should be seperately switchable for Milestones and Tasks because the Tasks Gant bar shapes plus the Name in one row will probably overlap often.

1. Show in rollup and normal view
2. only if not shown as rollup

With these options it could look like this

Let me know what you think.
I would value these improvements very much!

cheers
Mikro

= = = 19.04.2018 supplement
I reorganized the suggestions above a bit and have one more idea.

4) Option to not draw Gant table info column

If  names can be displayed beside Tasks and Milestones the Details column to the left of the gant view would be redundant.

In this case it would be cool to be able just remove the columns from the graphical Export

;)
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

.dan.g.

Apr 18, 2018, 9:46:07 PM4/18/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
They are all excellent ideas!

Can you also attach the tasklist shown in the screenshots please?

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 00:27:44 UTC+10, mikro wrote:
Hi all,
I am working with Gant View frequently and would very much appreciate the following enhancements to improve readability und flexibility.

Option to show Task Name beside Gant shapes
Now there is the option to show the 'allocated to' beside the task shape.
It would be great to be able to show the 'Task Name' instead, like so:

Option the show shape text if group is collapsed as rollup
An option to maintain the text beside the gant shape would be great to reduce the space needed to show a larger projekt plan.

Option to maintain the arrows of task links if group is collapsed as rollup
The third improvement would be to give an option to keep the link arrows between task from diffrent groups showing even if collapsed as rollup.

At the moment the arrows are not drawn if the targeted task is collapsed in a rollup.

At the moment

collapsing the source tasks looks like this

Realy handy to illustrate large plans would be

mikro

Apr 19, 2018, 3:32:35 AM4/19/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
I recreated a short example Plan, see attachment.
And I reorganized the ideas above and added some for the fine polish ;)

THX
Mikro
ProjektPlanExample.tdl

mikro

Apr 20, 2018, 5:00:07 AM4/20/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
What is your perspective on implementation?
Any Chance some of this is going to make it in the next release?

THX
Mikro

Gian Matteo Esposito

Apr 20, 2018, 5:13:15 AM4/20/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, mikro
What about reading the "rule book" ?

;-P

What is you perspective on implementation?

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/

mikro

Apr 20, 2018, 7:14:14 AM4/20/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
And you are who?

.dan.g.

Apr 22, 2018, 12:10:28 AM4/22/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Should mostly be done in 7.2.B8

mikro

Apr 25, 2018, 3:10:18 AM4/25/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Really? Amazing!
Can't wait to try it out! 8D

THX!

.dan.g.

Apr 25, 2018, 11:23:01 PM4/25/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Be warned, it can produce quite a messy look when various things overlap other things.

This is good:

This is less so:

Dan

ps. I made the text background opaque because it was hard to read otherwise, but this is just experimental...

mikro

Apr 26, 2018, 6:11:06 AM4/26/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
It actually works quite fine allready!
Spacing is an issue of course, but I have not seen a tool yet capabable of sorting a Project plan all on ist own ... nice work!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

.dan.g.

Apr 26, 2018, 8:09:36 PM4/26/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
What about the text background colour which currently obscures the task bar? I think I might get rid of it for now...

mikro

Apr 27, 2018, 1:32:11 AM4/27/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I have often used colored Background in Excel/RPlan to let the texts stand out a bit. Having them mix with the Task forms in the back i.m.o. often decreases readability.
Perhaps make it optional?

Is there a possibility to handle Milestones and Tasks differently?
Tasks an Texts do overlap more than Milestones and Texts, it could make sense to handle them differently.
Like Tasks having their texts centered, Milestone to the side.

Would it be possible to define Drawing 'Styles' and assign them to Taskgroups?

Like
- Group with Milestones has bold text and backcolor
- Group with main Tasks has centered text, no backcolor
- Group with crowds of Tasks has no texts, or even no Tasks and just the grouptaskbar

Auto Generated Inline Image 1