Question: FIND "does not equal" x And y

Tony G

Feb 14, 2016, 8:13:14 PM2/14/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
I want a filter for tasks that are not in status Complete AND not in status Not Needed.
In other words, if the status is any of the selected values, I do not want to see the task.

Open Find Tasks and start a New Search.
Add a rule with field Status and the condition "Does Not Equal".
Set the value to any X and Y.
The and/or value is not used.

It looks like it may only be matching the first criterion.

I would expect that it would not show the Not Needed tasks.
I refresh the Find Task dialog, save the filter, refresh the tasklist. These tasks always show.

Now if I set two rules the filter works, but notice the "What Matched" now shows multiple values for the status for each task:

HTH

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Daniel Godson

Feb 14, 2016, 8:33:25 PM2/14/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> I would expect that it would not show the Not Needed tasks.

Your equality check is testing for tasks that do not have BOTH status values, when you are wanting tasks that do not have EITHER values.

Trying using 'Does not include' instead.

>> but notice the "What Matched" now shows multiple values for the status for each task:

Again, I think you need to use the 'include' matching.

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Wiki and other resources: https://github.com/abstractspoon/ToDoList_Wiki/wiki

Tony G

Feb 15, 2016, 10:50:22 PM2/15/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
OK, it does work when using "Does Not Include".
But I think that's not intuitive, because Status and other single-value fields can only Equal or Not Equal a value.
If we say Includes or Does Not Include, we're not talking about a value being included amongst a collection of values, we're talking about whether the text is included as a substring within the single value. No? If that's the case then perhaps the value field should be using the dropdown checklist for Equals, and freeform entry for Includes.
I'd also suggest that if we use the selector for and/or that it should be used in the test.

There might also be a related bug.

I'll keep looking into this as possible but it still feels a little "off" to me.

Thanks!

.dan.g.

Feb 16, 2016, 12:49:34 AM2/16/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> If we say Includes or Does Not Include ... we're talking about whether the text is included as a substring within the single value.

I think that 'Equals' can only ever mean 'exact match' and so I repurposed 'includes' to also mean individual values within lists.

In fact 'Includes' can mean virtually anything including 'equals' so I don't think it is in anyway misleading.

>> I'd also suggest that if we use the selector for and/or that it should be used in the test.

That clearly relates only to OR'ing between separate rules and would not have changed the meaning of 'equals'.

>> There might also be a related bug.

Unrelated as it happens :)