Suggestion: Checking Out Single Tasks

Oliver Sahr

Jul 26, 2017, 7:56:10 AM7/26/17
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
We are a team of 7 people using ToDoList to manage our tasks at work.
In the description of the task we also store some information about the project (like some short passages from mails) so we see at once the current status and the history.

Unfortunately the ToDo file (that is stored on a network drive) is very often locked by other colleagues.
So it would be fantastic when we have the possibility to check out single tasks.

When I check out a single task, then I can modify all attribute of this single task, but all other tasks remain checked in.
So other people can check out other tasks and start working on them.

While I am working on a task the task should be visible in ToDoList and also an information should be shown that I have checked it out.
But colleagues still see the task (old version).

It would also increase the usability when you auto-checkout a task.
So when I start changing a task, check it out automatically (this saves me the click on the "Checkout" button).
Only when the auto-checkout fails, show a warning.

.dan.g.

Jul 28, 2017, 6:19:17 AM7/28/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Welcome Olli!

As discussed with you privately I propose to attempt to implement this as the primary (or only) feature for 7.3.

I also intend to start on this as soon as 7.2 reaches Beta.

Dan

Oliver Sahr

Jul 28, 2017, 3:21:25 PM7/28/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thank you very much, Daniel!

.dan.g.

Jul 31, 2017, 2:08:41 AM7/31/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Something I want to make very clear is that checking in an individual task will still require the tasklist to be temporarily checked-out in order to update the task's attributes.

This check-out will be performed automatically and when the task has been updated the tasklist will be checked back in (ie. released).

This should work fairly well unless there is someone who is greedy for keeping the tasklist checked-out (you know who I am talking about). For such situations I would suggest that the software just keep trying periodically. However for the initial demo this responsibility to keep trying will rest with each team member.

Oliver Sahr

Aug 5, 2017, 11:17:22 AM8/5/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hello Daniel,

at the moment the ist is blocked for a longer time if these "special people" are working on their tasks.
So if you implement the "check out a single task" then these people can be "educated" to check or 2 or 2 tasks at once and then update the comments.
Later they should check in all tasks at once.

One new idea:
When I check out the complete task list (the existing toolbar button) you should show a message informing the user that he also can check out a single task instead.
Maybe you add a "Don't show this message again" checkbox.

Best regards

OLLI

Oliver Sahr

Aug 9, 2017, 5:13:28 AM8/9/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I have a new enhancement:

When I check out the complete task list it would make sense to store the check-out-information in an additional file (and not in the task list)

So when I check out a larger task list not the complete file (6 MB) must be saved on the network drive.