Question: Horizontal Splitter in Comments

Oliver Sahr

Oct 15, 2015, 1:53:27 AM10/15/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

one thing I really miss in ToDoList is to add a horizontal splitter line in the RTF comments.
Splitters can be used to separate longer text passages from each other.

Of cause I can use some "----" chars and a font like "Lucida Console" to make a splitter.
But this splitter is normal text, if I maximize the comments, the splitter ends at the first quater of the text.

I know that you use RTF format in the Comments.
But in Word I can create a new file, save as RTF and then enter "---" and press [Enter] and I get s thin splitter line.
If I enter "___" and press [Enter] then I get a thicker splitter line.

It would be enough if I have a button to add and remove a splitter.
Is something like this possible?

Greetings

OLLI

Christoph Zwerschke

Oct 15, 2015, 5:37:02 AM10/15/15
Am 15.10.2015 um 07:53 schrieb Oliver Sahr:
> But in Word I can create a new file, save as RTF and then enter "---"
> and press [Enter] and I get s thin splitter line.
> If I enter "___" and press [Enter] then I get a thicker splitter line.

I suggested this 8 years ago already.
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/todolist2.aspx?msg=2209460

Patience you must have my young Padawan ;)

It seems Dan tried but found it was not easy to implement with RTF.

Anyway, I want to advocate this idea again. Maybe someone comes up with
a way to implement it.

Creating visual separation between the various parts of the text (like a
quote from a customer, my own ideas, a code snippet, a snippet from the
Internet, subheadings) is the main reason I want to use RTF and not
simply stick with plain text which would be otherwise so much easier.

On the other hand, I don't want to select a specific font (like a
monospaced one for code snippets) from a huge list, a fitting font size,
a suitable color etc. because all of that is far too tedious and
distracts from my note-taking or slows it down.

So what I really miss is a one-click style selector and a button for
horizontal separators.

It can drive me up the wall when even apps that support RTF and pretend
to have the sole purpose of note taking - looking at you Evernote - do
not even have a style selector. They probably tell you that the app
needs to be "simple". But how am I supposed to use this? Always change
font size AND boldness when adding a subheading? How is this more
user-friendly? Or just give up creating nicely formatted notes?

The next step towards more productivity would be, as suggested here, to
make this usable from the keyboard, like Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 for the
selection of styles, or either a shortcut or some kind of markup and
auto completion for horizontal lines, bullet points etc.

Interestingly, the latest beta of Evernote desktop finally supports this
(and I hope it will make it to the official release). "---" is auto
converted into a horizontal line here, '*' into a bullet point, [] into
a checkbox. So this might become a standard and it would be really
helpful to have in the TDL comment field as well. (Evernote beta still
doesn't have style selectors though, probably need to wait 8 more years
until they will appear in a beta).

-- Chris

.dan.g.

Oct 15, 2015, 5:41:39 AM10/15/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
If you have MSWord installed, right-click in comments, 'Insert > Horizontal Line'.

.dan.g.

Oct 15, 2015, 5:41:58 AM10/15/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
If you have MSWord installed, right-click in comments, 'Insert > Horizontal Line'.

Christoph Zwerschke

Oct 15, 2015, 8:38:54 AM10/15/15
Am 15.10.2015 um 11:41 schrieb .dan.g.:
> If you have MSWord installed, right-click in comments, 'Insert >
> Horizontal Line'.

Nice! Wasn't aware that this is possible now.

Do you rely on some dll that only comes with MS Word?

-- Chris

.dan.g.

Oct 15, 2015, 7:49:39 PM10/15/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
It requires MSWord to convert the RTF element to HTML otherwise it doesn't appear when printing or exporting, and thus would generate unending bug reports...