Suggestion: Commandline Option to Open a File Containing Switches

Patrick Skelton

Dec 12, 2018, 3:44:34 AM12/12/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
It'd be incredibly useful to have an option on the ToDoList commandline that opens a file (probably with a fixed extension, e.g. tds) that contains other commandline settings.  Settings found in this file would be treated the same as if they were actually on the commandline.

Some rules would need to be applied, I guess.

  • Can you have more than one of these settings files?
  • Can one of these files also contain the option to open a settings file (i.e. a recursive mechanism).  This might sound crazy, but I once worked on a video game that benefitted - at least during development - from having this facility on the commandline.
  • If individual settings conflict, which is applied (the last one?)

I guess I could simulate this by opening ToDoList using a batch file but it would be nicer to be able to do it from the shortcut, without the need for batch files or typing in that nasty little box you get when editing a Windows desktop shortcut.

- Patrick

.dan.g.

Dec 12, 2018, 8:22:31 PM12/12/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Patrick

Can you give me some specific examples of functionality this would facilitate for you?

Patrick Skelton

Dec 13, 2018, 3:31:14 AM12/13/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Dan,

I guess the main one is to simplify the opening of different sets of TDL files.  I use ToDoLIst for many things: personal planning, a kind-of-global business plan, and I have one for each software project I am working on, which work as a backlog for the project.

So, to take two very simple examples, I may one day want to open ToDoList with:

\LONG PATH\BusinessGlobal.tdl
\LONG PATH\ProjectA.tdl
\LONG PATH\CompanyWebsite.tdl

Another day, I might want to open it with:

\LONG PATH\Personal.tdl
\LONG PATH\CompanyWebsite.tdl

I can do this by creating two desktop shortcuts, using your commandline option to set multiple files but this involves typing and treble-checking long filepaths in that horrible tiny box you get in Windows when editing the properties of a shortcut.

Using a configuration file for this would still involve two desktop shortcuts but at least each one would have to list just one single file - the path to the TDLC (ToDoListConfig) file.

Once this had been implemented, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to have the ability to open a TDLC file inside a running copy of ToDoList and have it process the options in the file.  This might be especially useful for many of the other options you offer, since many involve first selecting tasks.  In a way, it would be a kind of batch processing facility.

I guess, now I've explained it, it does seem a bit niche, and I imagine you have much more important things to be working on.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/

yurig

Dec 16, 2018, 7:36:46 PM12/16/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

I would also support the request. One scenario that comes to my mind is when I create a task semi-automatically from my bug tracker using the command line, and the task heading or comment contain symbols not suitable for command line (or the comment is just too long).

Thanks in advance,
Yuri

.dan.g.

Dec 16, 2018, 8:10:52 PM12/16/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
So really you are wanting the ability to open file lists? ie. A text file where each line contains the path of a tasklist to be opened...

Patrick Skelton

Dec 17, 2018, 11:34:13 AM12/17/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Dan,

That would be a huge step in the right direction and would certainly fulfil my immediate use cases. But would it be so much of a stretch to have the same text file able to contain other options that can appear on the command-line?

Maybe this is two separate requirements.