Suggestion: Enable filter 'Options' droplist for custom filters

Laurent Bosc

Mar 9, 2016, 6:31:47 AM3/9/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

I leaved TDL forum for a while, and I'm back, and I discover the new version 7.0 and 7.1, and it is really impressive !
7.0 modif are great, and new 7.1 Kanban seems very promising !

However, about 7.1 I remember a main requested feature, but I don't see it in 7.1 and I don't know what is the status about it:

   * Enable filter 'Options' droplist for custom filters

Let me re-explain the need about this point:

When you use custom filters, other standard filters are disabled. I suppose, it is mainly because of unexpected result if you combine custom filters and basic filters.
But by doing this custom filters becomes very limited, actually.

For example in my case, I use custom filters to get ACTIVE  tasks (mainly filter on start/due date)
The standard filters Start date and Due date are not relevant for me because it is a start date filter AND a due date filter, while I need an OR filter, so I succesfully use custom filters for this.

But when I use my custom filter, and I see my filtered ACTIVE tasks list, I cannot in a second step, use the category filter nor status filter, nor the selected/flagged/'modify recently' filters, which is very annoying. I'm very limited about the tasks manipulation because of this :(

If you could improve this with  the following proposals, this would really improve the task filtering, which is probably one of the most important feature of TDL :)
  • Create a new filter 'Options' droplist for custom filters.
So remove them from the 'Show' droplist, and put them in a separate droplist

  • Ability to combine a custom filter with other standard filters
Of course, I will not use strange filter combination like my custom filter (ot get ACTIVE tasks) and then a filter on startdate, this has no sense.
And even if I do it, the result would be wrong, but it is my mistake. I would prefer to use some filters wrong but also the ability to use some smart combination, instead of the current behavior, where all is disabled, and I cannot do what I want.
If you are reluctant to do this for common usage and for basic uage (and I can understand), you could add an option to allow combine custom and standard combination. So the user would be aware of it, it would be its choice.

Thank you!

.dan.g.

Mar 9, 2016, 6:19:38 PM3/9/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
The options filter is enabled for custom filters...

Laurent Bosc

Mar 10, 2016, 2:04:16 AM3/10/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Dan, i understand now the meaning of this feature, ok, but it is not useful in the use case i describe and the feature i am asking for.
When custom filter is used, other standard filters are disabled and this limit the power and usage of task filtering. If you can check it it would be very useful, thank you :)
Or I create a new post since it is not really related to  the 'Option' droplist ?

.dan.g.

Mar 10, 2016, 6:25:09 PM3/10/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Then the title of your post was misleading...

You want to enable all filter fields for custom attributes...

I will think about that some more for 7.2.

Laurent Bosc

Mar 11, 2016, 1:48:17 AM3/11/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Exactly.
About title, my mistake, I was confused with this new option enabled feature, sorry.

Thank you