Info: Specific testing required on 7.1.DR7 (when it arrives)

.dan.g.

Mar 30, 2016, 9:59:26 PM3/30/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

To simplify the code and to pave the way for 'filtered calculations' I'd like to remove the caching of task calculations, which was implemented to give performance gains.

What I propose to do in 7.1.DR7 is to disable the caching temporarily so that we can assess its current benefits.

I'm looking for people with large numbers (>500) of deeply (>3) nested tasks who also use date and time calculation preferences for parent tasks.

Testing procedure:

Note: Backup your 7.1.DR6 installation (and ini file) because we don't want to overwrite it

1. Run 7.1.DR6
2. Switch to the Task Tree
3. View > Task Attribute > Visibility > Select All Columns
4. View > Expand > All Tasks
5. Maximise App window
6. Move selection to top task
7. Scroll to the bottom task just using the down cursor key
8. Record the time it took (as best you can)

Update to 7.1.DR7 and repeat the process identically.

Ideally perform the tests a few times.

ps. If you also have an older machine to test this on that would be awesome.

Thx

Dan

Brendan T

Apr 16, 2016, 2:14:36 AM4/16/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

I ran this test on my machine, Skylake I3.  The task list had 1059 tasks, and for nesting - maximum 10 levels.  To scroll from top to bottom took 35 and 36 seconds for the two times I tried.

Brendan

Tony G

Apr 16, 2016, 3:22:41 PM4/16/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Dan would you like me to do a broadcast to draw more attention to this?

.dan.g.

Apr 17, 2016, 8:24:34 PM4/17/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
On both 7.1.DR7 and 7.0.13?

.dan.g.

Apr 17, 2016, 8:40:54 PM4/17/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
You are welcome to give it a go.

Brendan T

Apr 24, 2016, 4:23:29 AM4/24/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

that was on release 7.1.  I ran the same test on 7.0.13 today and it was around the same time, 35 seconds.

Brendan

.dan.g.

Apr 25, 2016, 9:14:37 PM4/25/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Many thx Brendan, that was my experience too.