Question: Position of .tdl reference in command-line

Tony G

Nov 8, 2015, 4:41:19 PM11/8/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
The -c and -tg switches operate on a space-delimited list of values which follow the switch. However, the path to the .tdl may be the last spec in the command. This results in the path being added as a category or tag.
Example:
ToDoList.exe -tid 11 -tg "foo" "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Testing.tdl"

That results in two tags. So the spec needs to be put at the end of the command.
ToDoList.exe "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Testing.tdl" -tid 11 -tg "foo"

In the current documentation, I put the filepath at the end of command examples to establish a standard, though I know it can technically be "anywhere".
a) Should the doc be modified to recommend that the .tdl path be placed up front to avoid a potential conflict with switches?
b) Should the path be stripped out when the app identifies the .tdl, thus eliminating any possible conflicts?

This may affect other switches. For example the -fr switch to add a file reference (link) might point to another .tdl file:
ToDoList.exe -tid 11 -fr "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Different.tdl" "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Testing.tdl"
To void an issue, that would have to be written as:
ToDoList.exe "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Testing.tdl" -tid 11 -fr "C:\Users\me\Tasks\Different.tdl"

I'm thinking option (a) is easiest and therefore best. The .tdl should always be up-front, but for existing commands or those who prefer it at the end, if there is a possible conflict, the .tdl file must be specified up-front. Any other path will be considered a value for the preceding switch.

Is that how you'd like to see this or would you like to approach this differently?

Thanks!

.dan.g.

Nov 8, 2015, 8:26:53 PM11/8/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
The file is best placed first to prevent ambiguity, and this makes most sense to me because it represents the tasklist on which the attribute changes are to be made.