Suggestions: add new 'Attribute Calcultations' option for 'Flag' feature display

G-Eric

Mar 21, 2017, 10:26:58 AM3/21/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

So far, the preferences of 'Attribute Calculations' provide options to manage how to handle the relation of child task dates (Start & Due) against parent task dates (follow vs independent).

I suggest to add a new option in the 'Attribute Calculations' to have an option to manage similar behaviours for the 'Flag' feature.:

- when the option is activated / box checked:
   --  a flag on a child task would have a flag induced on the related parent task (whatever the parent task 'flag' status is)
   --  no flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')

- when the option is not activated / box unchecked:
   --  a flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')
   --  no flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')

The idea / reason of suggestion is to detect visually in the 'Task Tree' any underlying / hidden flags (i.e. of child tasks) when the related parent task is collapsed (e.g. to reduce tasks displayed in the 'List View').

Thanks for your comments on this suggestion.

Have a nice day - Eric

.dan.g.

Mar 23, 2017, 1:29:45 AM3/23/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Eric

Is this the same as saying: "Display a task as 'flagged' if any of its subtasks are 'flagged'" ?

If so I'm happy to consider this for 7.2.

G-Eric

Mar 23, 2017, 6:40:15 AM3/23/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support

No exactly, in fact: here is the reason why.

My original draft for this new option suggestion was indeed composed like the sentence you proposed.
Then I thought: " Hmmm.. Dan will revert and ask me ' What if the parent is already flagged ' ? and he will have a point, of course ".

Therefore, I dropped this draft to take the flag status of the parent itself ( ! ) into account in the rule suggestion, i.e.
flag staus of parent =
if ( parent = flagged )
   then ( parent = flagged )
   else (
      if ( any child = flagged)
         then ( parent = flagged )
         else ( parent = not flagged )
   )

Is this more clear (reason and rule suggestion)?
Does this makes sense for you?

I have the feeling it has a way to induce a similar behaviour for the flag as existing options used to manage parent / child relation for start date and due date.
IMHO, it might help to provider an enhanced (global) consistency for parent tasks handling (related to collapsed / expanded usage, hiding child attributes).

Anyway, just an idea (i.e. not an issue): so no rush, no priority.
And hoping it might be useful for other TDL users - otherwise, just drop it of course.

Thanks & Have a nice day - Eric

.dan.g.

Mar 23, 2017, 8:53:46 PM3/23/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Eric

I don't actually see the difference between

- when the option is activated / box checked:
   --  a flag on a child task would have a flag induced on the related parent task (whatever the parent task 'flag' status is)
   --  no flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')
   --  a flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')
   --  no flag on a child task would have no impact on the related parent task (i.e. leaving the parent task 'flag' status 'as is')
- when the option is not activated / box unchecked:

and

flag staus of parent =
if ( parent = flagged )
   then ( parent = flagged )
   else (
      if ( any child = flagged)
         then ( parent = flagged )
         else ( parent = not flagged )
   )

Don't they actually produce the same outcome?

ie. IF (the option is enabled AND the parent is unflagged AND one of its subtasks is flagged
         THEN the parent will appear flagged
    ELSE
          The parent's own flagged state applies.

Which is what 'Display a task as 'flagged' if any of its subtasks are 'flagged' means to me?

Dan

.dan.g.

Apr 18, 2017, 8:26:37 PM4/18/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Eric

Check out the preview of 7.2 for calculated flags (Attribute Calculation preferences).

G-Eric

Apr 19, 2017, 8:28:38 AM4/19/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

It works like a charm - great work, thank you.

I love the colour distinction to show if the flag is set (dark) or a "mirror" from a subtask (light).
This option will be very helpful for me once in production - starting to countdown...   ;-)

Note: as I do not find the item reported in the v7.2.DR1 'What's new' list, I do not reply there

 ( From past experience, I assume you prefer me to wait a final release prior to mark the this as complete )