Suggestion: Kanban attribute truncation leads to confusion.

Peter Schmelitschek

Oct 16, 2017, 12:18:34 AM10/16/17
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
This is more of 'heads up'  - half way between Suggestion and Bug.

In the Kanban view when there are many columns displayed, certain attributes are truncated in their display.

For example, with 12 columns selected, I want to show 'Percent complete'.
Because of screen space limitations the text 'Percent Complete' is not shown, with only the value visible, say '80'.

Now if I wish to see the 'Task ID' as well as 'Percentage Complete', I am given two numbers, one above the other, with no immediate way of knowing which number is 'Percentage' and which number is 'Task ID'. After some screen scanning and interpretation, I can assume the lower number is the 'Task ID' because it is unique to each task 'box'.

It would be useful in such circumstances to suffix the 'Percentage Completed' value with '%', similar to the 'H' which appears after time fields.

Of course, if both 'Time Estimate' and 'Time Spent' for example are both selected, we see two values with the 'H' suffix. This is more difficult to interpret.
Maybe a series of abbreviated suffixes would overcome this issue (TE, TS etc)

A variation on the truncation effect is that attributes which display with '...' (meaning they are truncated in the view) do not generate a 'tooltip' type pop-up with mouse-over (as occurs on Tree and List views).
Admittedly these views display the tooltip so that all attributes can be displayed together but it would be useful to see the missing detail in the Kanban view.

.dan.g.

Oct 16, 2017, 12:41:13 AM10/16/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Screenshots please...

Peter Schmelitschek

Oct 16, 2017, 12:52:14 AM10/16/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Sorry for the lack of screen shots:
Percent Complete and Task ID = Kanban-1.jpg

Time Spent and Time Estimate = Kanban-2.jpg

Truncated Topic and Categories = Kanban-3.jpg (this one would benefit from a tooltip type popup)

On Monday, 16 October 2017 15:18:34 UTC+11, Peter Schmelitschek wrote:
Kanban-1.JPG
Kanban-2.JPG
Kanban-3.JPG

.dan.g.

Oct 19, 2017, 5:17:55 AM10/19/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx Peter, I'll see what I can do to improve matters.

Dreamwood Estate

Oct 19, 2017, 5:51:55 AM10/19/17
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Dan.

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/

.dan.g.

Oct 20, 2017, 10:56:41 PM10/20/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Peter

In 7.2.A3 I've introduced an abbreviated label between full labels and no labels. Not perfect but an improvement.

Dreamwood Estate

Oct 20, 2017, 10:57:18 PM10/20/17
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

Legend.