BUG: Slow keyboard input in Comments when 'Window fading' is enabled in preferences

.dan.g.

Sep 13, 2015, 9:12:02 PM9/13/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Originally from GitHub by mosca

If I have EnableLightboxMgr=1 in the Preferences section of my ToDoList.ini, then the Comments editor (both Rich and Simple text) becomes sluggish (I can type faster than it can update).
If EnableLightboxMgr=0, the Comments editor becomes very fast, it updates instantly.

To double-check my statement about the EnableLightboxMgr setting, I repeated the test a few minutes ago. I switched it to 1 in the INI file (after closing Todolist). Then I started Todolist and the Comments editor became slow. Switching it to 0 removed the problem. When the setting is 1, the editor prints the typed characters about 2-3 times slower than when the setting is 0.
By the way, what does this setting influence? Can I also change it from the Preferences menu? So far I always changed it in the INI file with a text editor.

I tested the problem by switching the 'Enable window fading' option on and off in the Preferences window, and it slows down or speeds up the Comments window the same way when I changed this setting in the INI file.

The speed difference is very noticeable even when I hold down one key only.

sinjin tang

Oct 11, 2015, 4:38:04 AM10/11/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I am running Todolist in Virtualbox (win xp) on a Linux machine. I too was experiencing serious keyboard lag issues. This post helped. Turning off "Enable window fading" fixed the problem. Thanks

.dan.g.

Oct 11, 2015, 9:28:56 PM10/11/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I will disable that feature by default in the next update, with a view to removing it altogether in a future release.

Polisson

Nov 3, 2015, 7:11:55 AM11/3/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
In my case, the problem still exists and changing any of those two options doesn't work - Comment field is very slow responding.
ToDoList.ini

.dan.g.

Nov 3, 2015, 6:22:56 PM11/3/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Polisson

Can you post a screenshot of the whole app pls?

Polisson

Nov 4, 2015, 2:39:04 AM11/4/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Yes, of course. In attachment.
ToDoList-screenshot.tif

.dan.g.

Nov 4, 2015, 6:24:29 PM11/4/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx Polisson.

I notice that you are on version 7.0.1. Can you update to 7.0.7 and confirm that the problem still exists pls?

Dan

Polisson

Nov 5, 2015, 3:38:34 AM11/5/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hmmm.... before I posted first time, I've updated my app to newest ver. So how do you suppose that I use old ver?
That's true that my task list file was used with few old versions of ToDoList and I can't build it from scratch
ToDoList-screenshot2.tif

.dan.g.

Nov 5, 2015, 8:16:50 PM11/5/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> So how do you suppose that I use old ver?

My mistake, I was looking at the old version category at the top of the post which hadn't been updated.

Some more questions:

1. If you hold down a character key in the comments, do you notice any flickering of the tasklist?
2. If you switch to 'Sort > Unsorted' does this make any difference?
3. Is there any difference between simple and rich text comments?

Dan

Polisson

Nov 6, 2015, 5:39:24 AM11/6/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Unfortunately none of those 3 aspects does affect this issue. So 3xNO ;/ but there is one more thing that I've noticed since trying to fix that bug: sluggish typing is sometimes present in 'Title' field of task. I don't know how to trigger it, so it's spontaneous for me.
One question: has the app any type of debug mode? or can I find any log to post it here for more efficient help or improve app? because I like it so much :)

Polisson

Nov 16, 2015, 8:11:48 AM11/16/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I've noticed one more thing: problem persists only in my old .tdl file which I use circa about 1 year. I've checked that issue appeared in ver. 7 (old backup of app works well with old backup of tdl file). New files crated with current version hasn't this problem, but my old file is very important so I can't to obsolete it. Also, I can't downgrade app, cause my file was updated by new-ver, so tdl is non-editable by old-ver one.

.dan.g.

Nov 16, 2015, 10:32:35 PM11/16/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx Polisson.

If I were to guess, I would say that it was the combination of the tasklist and your preferences.

As such, we've reached the stage where I'll need you to send me a copy of the tasklist and the preferences file if I'm to look into this more.

I'll understand if you are reluctant to do this but over the years I've not found any alternative to working with the problem data itself...

abstractspoon2(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au.

Rgds

Dan

.dan.g.

Dec 10, 2015, 6:25:29 PM12/10/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Should be fixed in 7.0.9. Can you confirm pls?

Mateusz Polak

Dec 11, 2015, 11:31:50 AM12/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Works great now! Thanks a lot! :)

Just after updating I've noticed that, sluggish response of comment window was gone, but at the same time one more problem appeared. I thought it is common to this last one which You've fixed but not and something else causes it. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it.
This problem is editing "Time Spent" field after a time tracking was stopped. During time tracking, editing this field is locked (it is disabled and greyed), but in some cases when I stop time tracking, the field becomes white (like enabled) but I can't edit its value. In my case it happens quite  often because when something disturbs my work, I forget to stop tracking and when I back to the business after few hours, I need to edit this value. So then I stop the tracking and try to edit only restarting of app allows to do it.
As I said, I can't trigger it, so seems to be spontaneous for me now ;)
I will try to observe what I do to find the cause.

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Wiki and other resources: https://github.com/abstractspoon/ToDoList_Wiki/wiki

Hotmail

Dec 11, 2015, 5:12:34 PM12/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

Please set this topic to „fixed /solved / erledigt“

.dan.g.

Dec 11, 2015, 11:58:25 PM12/11/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> sluggish response of comment window was gone

I'm glad and thx for your help in fixing it.

>> I will try to observe what I do to find the cause.

Many thx Mateusz.

ps. If/when you do find the sequence that produces it can you post that as a new bug pls?