BUG: "Due Tasks Have Highest Priority" option does not affect priority sorting

OOM

May 20, 2019, 8:15:23 PM5/20/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
How to reproduce:

* Activate the option: Tools/Preferences, Tasks/Attribute Calculations, [x] Treat due tasks as having the highest priority
* Create new list
* Create at least 2 tasks (say, "A" and "B")
* Set one with a lower priority (A is 5, B is 3)
* Set the same with a Due Date of today (B is due now)
* Sort by Priority
=> A is still above B, even though B, being due now, should have highest priority and beat even priority 10

I would expect the due task to be the first in the list. If there were other due tasks, I would expect priority level to be the sorting criteria among them.

This used to work in 6.x. No idea when it changed since I jumped from 6.x to the latest 7.x a week ago.

Todolist7212_duePriorityBug.jpg

.dan.g.

May 20, 2019, 11:58:00 PM5/20/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Welcome OOM

Can you modify the default 'Introduction.tdl' to show the problem and attach it and your preferences here please?

OOM

May 21, 2019, 3:33:56 AM5/21/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I looked for that TDL since it was mentioned in the "how to report" post, but it doesn't exist in the latest public version... I only have an old version of it from 2013, from my previous version of the software.

.dan.g.

May 22, 2019, 8:07:54 PM5/22/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> I only have an old version of it from 2013

That will be fine, I just need a tasklist from you (and your preferences file) that exhibits the issue.

OOM

May 24, 2019, 3:38:54 AM5/24/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

todolist_bug_reproduction.jpg

There you go! Screenshot for reference, attached TDL+INI for testing.
Todolist_bug_reproduction.zip

.dan.g.

Jun 2, 2019, 1:01:50 AM6/2/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Many thanks that's very helpful.

OOM

Jun 20, 2019, 3:40:33 AM6/20/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I noticed something else: it actually works as intended if the due date is PAST.

Current Date = 2019/06/20
Due Date = 2019/06/20 => Task is not highest priority
Due Date = 2019/06/19 (or less) => Task IS highest priority

As such, past due dates are sorted as if they were above Priority 10, which is as expected.

.dan.g.

Jun 20, 2019, 9:31:10 PM6/20/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Yes, there's a bug in the interplay between 'Overdue' and 'Due Today'. I hope to have a fix out soon.

.dan.g.

Jun 30, 2019, 8:58:04 PM6/30/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Fixed in 7.2.14?

OOM

Jul 12, 2019, 6:01:43 AM7/12/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Sorry for the time it took me. I got stuck trying to download the new version. Check For Update didn't detect anything, and I was stubbornly trying to reach abstractspoon.com which timed out on me. Just now I realized there's a link to the download in your signature *facepalm*.
As an aside, what *is* the official website for Todolist?

Either way, yes, problem solved. Thank you so much!

Le lundi 1 juillet 2019 02:58:04 UTC+2, .dan.g. a écrit :
Fixed in 7.2.14?

.dan.g.

Jul 12, 2019, 11:49:14 PM7/12/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
My bad, I was messing around with my website during the week : www.abstractspoon.com

OOM

Jul 15, 2019, 4:28:26 AM7/15/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Website still not working, but I suspect it's my work proxy. Yeah, confirmed, my phone can access it, so no worries there.

That said, the due date priority thing is not entirely fixed. I found a few special cases where behaviour is not as it used to be.

greenshot_2019-07-15_10-12-48.jpg

What works :

* Past due date, anywhere

* Due today, at the root only

What doesn't work: Due today on a subtask, any level.

In the "This is a task" group, it appears DUE TODAY does take precedence over its sibling. So it's a problem where the due date priority is not sent up the hierarchy anymore.

Introduction_priority_duedate_issue_v2.tdl

.dan.g.

Jul 18, 2019, 3:33:35 AM7/18/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx Manning.

Could you also confirm (again) exactly what you are expecting to see with that subtask?

OOM

Jul 18, 2019, 4:41:48 AM7/18/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
"Manning"? :)

OK, first reminder: this only matters when option "Treat due tasks as having the highest priority" is active. I read this option as meaning "due tasks will have priority 11" and possibly "past due tasks have priority 12". In my experience, it's been the behavior in older versions.

todolist_duetaskpriority_option.jpg

I'm also talking about option "Display a task's priority/risk as being the highest of its and all its subtasks' priorities/risk" being active (I don't think I mentioned that, sorry!):

todolist_parentpriority_option.jpg

With this, I expect a subtask with due date to have priority 11, and make all its parents have priority 11.

I think the "highest priority" option works. Among siblings, a task due today will be priority 11.

The other option seems to be ignored for "due today" but still works when due date is past.

Below is a "now/wished for" illustration.

As an example, task "This is a task" is parent to a "DUE TODAY" task which is... due today :).

The good: it's placed above a priority 7 sibling in spite of being, officially, a priority 5.

The bad: "This is a task" does not inherit from "DUE TODAY". It's still placed below a priority 9 sibling.

You can see that behavior for all the other parent tasks I've highlighted. The only one that behaves correctly is "Adding Comments to Tasks", because its child is *past* the due date, thus it inherits highest priority and gets placed among the other highest priority root tasks.

Phew! Hopefully that explains things. I'm available for clarifications :)

todolist_duetaskpriority.jpg