Discussion: Alternate Layout for Time Tracker?

Tony G

Apr 16, 2016, 4:00:19 PM4/16/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if anyone else would value an alternative, smaller layout for the time tracking widget.

Reasoning and suggestions:
1) With the TDL icon on the form, we know it's the Time Tracker, so we don't need that in the form title. I'd propose the task name there. The width of the widget would expand to include the full name.
2) If we have the preference set to only allow time tracking on a single task, then while we're working we know the list/project, so the tasklist name isn't necessary. I manage tasks from the TDL app, I don't even need the selector for tasklist.
3) If the task name is moved to the title and I'm managing from the app, then the tasklist selector isn't required, and neither is the Quick Task Find box. (That said, the Quick Task Find is quite useful if you know the name and you are jumping around a lot.)

That leaves a trimmed down widget, wider but shorter, with the task name in the header, the current time estimate/spent, and the start/stop button. The only active options would be to track time or close the form.

So what do you think about a Time Tracking preference for "Full Widget" versus "Small Widget", which is only enabled when the other option is checked: Tracking a new task should stop the tracking of tasks in all other open tasklists.

Note that for these and other personal preferences we really can use a UDT rather than the built-in widget. So the other view on this is that we should use the widget as-is, and anyone who wants an alternative can build their own. Perhaps the way I should approach this is by writing up a HowTo for creating a tracking widget? (Requires code)

Thanks for consideration.

.dan.g.

Jun 12, 2017, 10:21:47 PM6/12/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support, bacj8...@snkmail.com