Question: How do you change back to using registry preferences if you do not have an ini file?

Anthony W

Mar 18, 2016, 3:31:52 PM3/18/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I was trying to use a different user account with an existing task list and an existing installation of ToDoList on the same computer. I did an export preferences operation so I could copy the settings to the new account.  It seemed to work ok but the todolist.ini file was not created. Now, since the ini file does not exist the default settings have kicked in. The settings I want are still in the registry and I tried exporting these registry keys in one account and importing them in the account I want to use but I can not get ToDoList to use the registry.  Apparently when I did the export preferences it was switched to the mode of using the ini file, which now does not exist. I just want to get back to my starting point and use the preferences that are in the registry.  I know the import preferences command will switch to the mode of using the registry but I do not have a valid ini file to import.

Hotmail

Mar 18, 2016, 4:08:50 PM3/18/16
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com

               > it was switched to the mode of using the ini file, which now does not exist.

If you are using the INI the menu „Tools – Export Preferences from Registry“ is greyed out. Is it the same on your PC?

If you start todolist with parameter –g (todolist.exe –g) then you get a logfile, where the used INI (if used ..) is described like

Using existing ini file for preferences: C:\Program File........

Anthony W

Mar 18, 2016, 6:30:48 PM3/18/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I found out why it looked like the file was not created here. Windows apparently does some behind the scenes translation. I learned something new. But anyway, now when I try to import I get an error message that the ini file is invalid.  The version of the program that created the ini file is 7.0.8 and the version I am running now is 7.0.13. I don't know if that makes a difference.  I will try enabling the log and see if I get more information.

I am kind of stuck because I also have the situation now that when I make a change to preferences through the user interface, it does not get applied. I am trying to change the columns that are displayed but none of my selections change anything.  So right now I can't load my previous settings and I can't manually change my current settings.

Anthony W

Mar 18, 2016, 7:44:18 PM3/18/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I managed to get everything as I wanted.  I just deleted the ini file that was created in virtualstore and it went back to using the registry. Since I had already copied the registry keys over from the original account it just used the setting that were already there. Thus, I got exactly the outcome I was looking for. I just was not able to get there via the ini file for whatever reasons.

Pierre, as a test I did enable the log to see where the ini location was specified. It indicated the location was in /Program(x86)/ToDoList rather than the virtualstore. So I guess windows does this translation transparently and the application knows nothing about it. Thanks.