Question: Per-List Settings

Patrick Skelton

Jun 8, 2019, 6:48:10 AM6/8/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to have different settings for different to-do lists?

For example, I have one list for home use, where I really don't want all the clutter of time-tracking, but I have a list for work (in fact several) that most definitely would benefit from having the time-tracking columns visible.

If this isn't possible, could I suggest it as a feature?

I can provide a couple of screenshots, but I think the description of what I mean is fairly simple and straightforward (famous last words in software, I know).

Kind wishes - Patrick

.dan.g.

Jun 10, 2019, 2:28:20 AM6/10/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Welcome Patrick.

To have separate preferences for each file requires some work on your part:

1. Run ToDoList with administrator privileges and and enable 'Multi-instancing' and 'tdl' file extension handling:

Tools > Preferences > General > Allow multiple instances of ToDoList
Tools > Preferences > General > Enable '.tdl' as a file extension for tasklists

2. Close ToDoList
3. Copy your preferences file as many times as necessary to have one preferences file per tasklist
4. Give each preferences file the same name as the corresponding tasklist but without changing the extension
5. Move each renamed preferences file to the same location as the associated tasklist
6. Open each tasklist by double-clicking the 'tdl' file itself

Patrick Skelton

Jun 10, 2019, 3:52:12 AM6/10/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the information, Dan.

I think this would do the trick for me but will have to experiment, as I have one of my TDL files opening on startup.  I think I could get this to start with Administrator Privileges using Task Scheduler.  The main problem, I guess, is that I have quite a few TDL files, so the above method would take me a while to set up.

For now, I think I'll just live with the extra fields always being visible, regardless of whether I am using them or not.

Thanks again for the reply.

- Patrick

It is my intention to make another donation as soon as my temporary cash-flow problem improves, as I have tried several to-do applications and none of them comes close to yours.  Great stuff!  In fact my only criticism is that it is so configurable that it takes some getting your head around all the options.  But that can't be helped.  If you want configurability then there has to be a place to edit it!

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/

.dan.g.

Jun 13, 2019, 2:30:00 AM6/13/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
There is an alternative way to do this that may suit you better if you have multiple tasklists that share the same settings:

1. Open and configure TDL with all the tasklists sharing the same settings
2. Close TDL
3. Rename ToDoList.ini to something meaningful
4. Create a shortcut to ToDoList.exe and add '-i <renamed prefs path>' to the commandline