Question: Use ToDoList on Network Drive

Oliver Sahr

Oct 21, 2015, 3:07:04 AM10/21/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

we use ToDoList at work (7 people) and we have one huge ToDo file we all work with.
We all have ToDoList installed on c:\ToDoList.

Today I sent my colleagues an email telling them to update ToDoList to 7.0.6.
Some of them complained that they have to update ToDoList very often.

We already have some portable applications on a network drive.
Is it possible to copy ToDoList on this network drive and allow all people to access it?

I know that the settings should be stored in the Windows Registry in this scenario.
But my boss asked me not to use the "Registry" setting.

I know that a shared INI might cause problems, because when two users have ToDoList opened at the same time, then the settings from the user that closed ToDoList first are overwritten with the settings from the user that closed ToDoList last.
Right?
Are there some other problems as well?

Greetings

OLLI

simplenuity

Oct 21, 2015, 3:40:48 AM10/21/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Olli,

You have mentioned two possible scenarios:

* Individually updating ToDoList every time a new version has been released.

* Centralizing ToDoList and running it from a network drive as well as regularly updating it there. Which comes with the caveats you mentioned yourself, and most probably more.

Have you considered to NOT applying the offered update straight away and agree on an update cycle within your team? Let's say you would agree on a three monthly cycle, then every three months one person responsible checks for an update, puts the zip file on a network drive and informs the team. Exception would only be a bug fix that is relevant for your team. In that case nobody would complain to update earlier anyway - I hope. :)

I used this method in a corporate environment and it worked well.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Hotmail

Oct 21, 2015, 3:46:15 AM10/21/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olli

here my experiences, with other users and other software:

> Some of them complained that they have to update ToDoList very often.
a) Personally I would say that people who are complaining about three clicks and 10 sec, every 2 weeks, like to complain about
everything ;-)
b) On the other way - if you don't need the current features/changings of the current release, then you need not to update
c) Or you try to find a solution to "update" automatically - copy / synchronize with a source-folder when PC is started or something
else. But this is a lot of effort for 7 users who don't like to click.

> But my boss asked me not to use the "Registry" setting.
Does he have a reasonable for it? Users are changing the computer very often?
For some bosses the registry is a black, mysterious hole where the Admins says: "Don't touch it!", and sometimes that's the only
reason.

> I know that a shared INI might cause problems, ...
It is a safe bet that you will get grey hairs. There are so many personal settings in the INI (filter, ..) that it is no good idea to
share or to set it to read-only.

Pierre

.dan.g.

Oct 21, 2015, 11:53:14 PM10/21/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Olli

As someone else noted, sharing an ini file is not a good idea for all the reasons mentioned.

If you want to position TDL in a network location you will need to configure each user to use a local ini file which may be more trouble than just getting them to update.

Alternatively just have them disable automatic updates until they need to because of a specific bug fix.

Dan