BUG: Printing Issue - bottom portion of page missing

Dan Baker

Feb 13, 2019, 11:52:28 PM2/13/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan:

The printing issue we communicated about last month still exist.  I have checked and it occurs on two different printers.  If I load the tdl.print.html into Chrome and print, then the document shows correctly. If I use the direct-to-print, or print-to-adobe, and then try and print, the issue occurs.  I attached tdl.print.pdf showing the truncation and the tdl.print.html showing the full file.

I have checked the printer sites (one canon laser and the other epson inkjet) and I could not find any common thread other than todolist.

I'm running Windows 10x64, on a lenovo P50 4k.

Thanks for any (further) troubleshooting ideas,

Dan

tdl.print.html
tdl.print.pdf

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 1:31:21 AM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thanks for getting back to me Dan.

TDL uses IE internally for printing so it would be good for you to test that out to see if the problem starts there.

And/or check out IE's printer setup to see if there's a 'smoking gun' there:

print_prefs.PNG

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:44:28 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Just to recap: It looks okay in 'File > Print Preview' but prints wrong?

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:53:16 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
ps. Are you using a stylesheet?

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:01:21 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
pps. And this problem does not occur on 7.1.5, even with preferences copied from 7.2?

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:13:50 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
ppps. Do you ever use the 'File > Print Preview > Style > Task View' option?

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:27:08 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
pppps. If it still works in 7.1, can you generate both of the temporary HTML print files (for the exact same tasklist and settings) and attach them here:

for 7.1: "ToDoList.print.html"
for 7.2: "tdl.print.html"

.dan.g.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:29:18 PM2/14/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
ppppps. If you open the 7.2 temp print file manually in Internet Explorer does the problem also occur?

Dan Baker

Feb 15, 2019, 6:24:10 PM2/15/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan:

I don't have Explorer installed, just Microsoft Edge (I exclusively use Chrome tho') and I attached the settings (nothing out of normal in 'More Settings' either).

* It looks okay in 'File > Print Preview' but prints wrong?  Correct

* Are you using a stylesheet?  No, stylesheet box is unchecked

* And this problem does not occur on 7.1.5, even with preferences copied from 7.2?  ToDoList.print7.1.5.html and ToDoList.print7.2.5.html are using each of their preferences, no difference.  Outputs are tdl.print.7.1.5_adobe.pdf and tdl.print.7.2.5_adobe.pdf -- issues shows in 7.2.5.  Copying the 7.2.5 preferences to 7.1.5 yields ToDoList.print7.1.5_7.25ini_adobe.pdf -- prints normally.

* Do you ever use the 'File > Print Preview > Style > Task View' option? No, but see attached (PrintPreview_Style_TaskTree.jpg), it is a much different view.

* If it still works in 7.1, can you generate both of the temporary HTML print files (for the exact same tasklist and settings) and attach them here:  see two bullets up for names of attached below.

* If you open the 7.2 temp print file manually in Internet Explorer does the problem also occur?  Again, no IE, but it works with Chrome.  The problem seems to lie somewhere in the conversion from that to what is used by Adobe, Epson, and Canon?

That's all I can think of right now.  Good luck.

Best regards,

Dan

BTW:  See text7.1.2.jpg and text7.2.5.jpg to compare how nice TDL looks in 4k, or whatever was the screen upgrades.  Nice!

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 22:31

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/
[...]

text7.1.5.jpg
ToDoList.print7.1.5.html
tdl.print7.2.5.html
tdl.print7.2.5_adobe.pdf
ToDoList.print7.1.5_adobe.pdf
ToDoList.print7.1.5_7.25ini_adobe.pdf
PrintPreview_Style_TaskTree.jpg

.dan.g.

Feb 22, 2019, 12:03:17 AM2/22/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> I don't have Explorer installed

Can you try typing 'Internet Explorer' into 'Cortana'?
[...]

.dan.g.

Feb 22, 2019, 12:17:03 AM2/22/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Can you:

1. Start TDL
2. File > Print Preview (not important what tasklist but Print Preview window needs to appear)
3. Close Print Preview
4. Tools > Enable Logging
5. Close TDL
6. Attach your ToDoList.Log

Dan Baker

Feb 25, 2019, 5:14:03 PM2/25/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
I looked and I had tried printing the wrong version.  Attached is the html version that looks good in IE (no cut-off) and adobe.  Very strange.  I also attached the .pdf that I printed directly from TDL.

Best regards,

Dan

Hello Dan:

I was able to run IE (your hunch was correct, it was there, just not listed in the normal places).  Same problem.  I am attaching the settings and version information as well as the ToDoList.log file you requested.

My apologies for the slow turnaround.  This week is looking more flexible.

Best regards,

Dan

.dan.g. wrote:
--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/
Wiki and other resources: http://abstractspoon.com/wiki/doku.php?id=todolist-description
---
tdl.print.pdf
tdl.print.html
tdl.print_adobe.pdf
ToDoList.log
IE_ppreview.jpg
AboutIE.jpg

.dan.g.

Feb 25, 2019, 8:14:26 PM2/25/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Sorry Dan, now I am completely confused.

Could you re-explain your last two replies please?

.dan.g.

Feb 25, 2019, 9:35:03 PM2/25/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Can you also generate the log file for 7.1, but in this case will need to add '-g' to the commandline (in a shortcut)?

.dan.g.

Feb 25, 2019, 9:36:11 PM2/25/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
ps. I still find it bizarre that 7.1.5 works but 7.2 does not since they both seem to generate the same html file...

.dan.g.

.dan.g.

Feb 25, 2019, 10:58:34 PM2/25/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Here's a new thought: Perhaps the high DPI scaling (new in 7.2) is somehow involved.

Experiment: Set your display scaling to 100%, log out and then back in, try the export to PDF.

dpiscaling.PNG

On Thursday, 14 February 2019 15:52:28 UTC+11, Dan Baker wrote:
Message has been deleted

Dan Baker

Feb 26, 2019, 12:31:58 AM2/26/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Dan:

I'll be damned, or for where you are perhaps it should be, bugger me.

tdl.print.pdf - 250%
tdl.print1.pdf - 100%

I did not know all of the 4k issues when I got this (SolidWorks has ben a particular pain, TDL issues are pretty minor in comparison and MUCH faster and MORE successful responses :) ).  But here is another ...

Best regards,

Dan

.dan.g. wrote:
--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/
Wiki and other resources: http://abstractspoon.com/wiki/doku.php?id=todolist-description
---
tdl.print1.pdf
tdl.print.pdf

.dan.g.

Feb 26, 2019, 12:50:55 AM2/26/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thanks for the update Dan, and for your patience and good humour.

BTW, did you get the chance to try overriding the scaling via the 'Properties' dialog just to see what impact it has?

ps. I actually have a 4K screen at home but it's not part of my normal development, so if I can now reproduce this at home then I at least have a chance of fixing it or figuring out a workaround.

Dan Baker

Feb 26, 2019, 1:04:45 AM2/26/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
How did you get compatibility to be visible?  see attached when I rt-clicked and chose properties

.dan.g. wrote:
prop.jpg

.dan.g.

Feb 26, 2019, 1:43:55 AM2/26/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
You have to click on the tab at the top

Dan Baker

Feb 26, 2019, 1:51:15 AM2/26/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
First, embarrassment ... I had to go into the local policy section and turn on the compatibility tab.  I had dinner and returned only to forget that I turned it on ... and I attached the view -- ack.   DOH :)

Well with compatibility on as you indicated, the problem is still there.  Interesting.

Sheepishly yours,

Dan

.dan.g. wrote:
tdl.print.pdf

.dan.g.

Feb 26, 2019, 6:17:19 PM2/26/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> Well with compatibility on as you indicated, the problem is still there.

Leave it with me to check out at home and I'll get back to you.

.dan.g.

Mar 1, 2019, 1:36:31 AM3/1/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Temporary workaround: override_dpisettings.png

Leaves text looking sharp but slightly less compact UI: system_dpisettings.png

Dan

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 17:51:15 UTC+11, Dan Baker wrote:
override_dpisettings.png
system_dpisettings.png

.dan.g.

Mar 5, 2019, 11:47:06 PM3/5/19
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan

I don't think I'm able to fix this at present so my suggestion is to replace TDL's high dpi handling with that of Windows thus:

override_dpisettings.png or overridedpi.PNG

Dan Baker

Mar 6, 2019, 1:44:47 AM3/6/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan:

DRAT.  Thank you for your efforts!  Let's hope it can be fixed in the future as the hiDPI setting look really nice when working with TDL.

Best regards,

Dan

.dan.g. wrote:
--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Website: http://abstractspoon.weebly.com/
Wiki and other resources: http://abstractspoon.com/wiki/doku.php?id=todolist-description
---

.dan.g.

danielr...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 9:10:33 PM3/6/19
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Ack, I wish Microsoft would learn to play in the sandbox better...