BUG: Icons missing in UI - TDL 7.0.2, Linux

simplenuity

Sep 11, 2015, 10:45:07 AM9/11/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Three icons in the UI are missing.
To reproduce start TDL from scratch with the 'Introduction' tasklist.
sample tasklist - todolist c abstractspoon_007

These icons are part of the Wingdings.There is a Wingdings font installed under Wine, however a different version compared to Windows.

So one solution would be to manually install the Windows version of Wingdings in Linux. However, Microsoft has stopped making it freely available, i.e. there is a license necessary to use it.

Another solution, to replace the icons with ones that are also available in the Wine version, seems impossible due to the very limited choice given.

Would it be possible to replace the Wingdings characters by Unicode characters?
http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

.dan.g.

Nov 10, 2015, 12:04:52 AM11/10/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Ryan

>> Would it be possible to replace the Wingdings characters by Unicode characters?

Just had a go at this without success. Trying to use the Unicode values provided by Alan Wood sometimes produced entirely the wrong character so perhaps his page is only for HTML representation.

I will keep looking.

simplenuity

Nov 10, 2015, 4:37:41 AM11/10/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thanks Dan, will also keep an eye on it.

.dan.g.

Nov 24, 2015, 8:35:05 PM11/24/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I've decided to bite the bullet and replace all WingDings characters with icons in 7.1.

Ryan

Nov 26, 2015, 5:29:47 AM11/26/15
to TDL GG
Thanks for the great news, Dan!

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Wiki and other resources: https://github.com/abstractspoon/ToDoList_Wiki/wiki

Tony G

Dec 19, 2015, 5:09:58 PM12/19/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Based on this thread I've written the following for the wiki. Please confirm before I post. Feel free to suggest word changes to clarify or make this more accurate.

=======
In versions through 7.0, some "icons" are actually characters displayed in the Wingding character font. It was [reported](https://groups.google.com/d/msg/abstractspoon-todolist-support/6YWKCZUxaVQ/4V77QgDCBwAJ) that some Wingding font definition files are different, so a few of the characters from the Windows definition used as icons were missing in Wine over Linux.

The reason for the discrepancy is that the Windows fonts are copyright protected and cannot legally be used in Linux. So a [third party provided font definition](https://github.com/caarlos0/msfonts/blob/master/fonts) is used in Wine, and unfortunately it's not quite the same as the Windows definition.

To fix this issue, Dan decided to replace all Wingding characters with icons in 7.1.
========

I'll add more to that later about where icons are stored. In the Library I have code that extracts icons for display elsewhere. I'm not sure if there is much else to be said on this topic.

As with UDT icons, will users be able to change the icon set, sort of like skinning or theming?

Anything else to add?

Thanks.