Question: New Task at Top places input field not at top while task tree is sorted

maig341

May 21, 2017, 5:26:43 AM5/21/17
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
New Task at Top places input field at bottom as opposed to the function name while task tree is sorted by Due Date. While it is unsorted, new task input field is placed correctly at top of tree. Similarly, while task tree is sorted by Title, new task input field with "Task" proposed title is placed in the middle of the list (between "S..." and "U..." titles).  Looks like New Task on Top shouldn't depend on task sort order.

.dan.g.

May 21, 2017, 6:19:10 AM5/21/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support

maig341

May 21, 2017, 7:04:36 AM5/21/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
As far as sort by due date is concerned:

- Open Tasklist introduction.tdl
- check if Task Tree is (Sort By) Unsorted
- click New Task at Top
- the new task INPUT FIELD is correctly positioned at top
- click Sort By / Due Date
- click New Task at Top
- the new task INPUT FIELD is incorrectly positioned at bottom

As far as sort by title is concerned:

- Open Tasklist introduction.tdl
- check if Task Tree is (Sort By) Unsorted
- click New Task at Top
- the new task INPUT FIELD is correctly positioned at top
- click Sort By / Title
- click New Task at Top
- the new task INPUT FIELD is incorrectly placed between "Sharing Tasklists" and "This is a Task"

Please understand I mean just INPUT FIELD location on the screen (wanted - at top, gotten - elsewhere). Later, the task is placed correctly according to sort order chosen.

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide screenshots with input fields open. They close and tasks move then according to current sorting order when I try to use screen capture tool.

.dan.g.

May 22, 2017, 4:29:08 AM5/22/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thx for the steps, I'm now much more able to understand the issue.

.dan.g.

May 22, 2017, 4:48:15 AM5/22/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi maig341

Now I understand you better I can say that the software is actually working as it is meant to, although I agree that it does not appear that way.

When the menu item says 'at Top', 'at Bottom', 'Above' or 'Below' it is referring to where it will place the task when the tasklist is in an unsorted state. If you make th 'Position' column visible you will see what I mean.

If you consider how it would be if I used the task's sorted position then I think it would be even more confusing because as soon the sorting is changed the task would jump to a random position. Therefore the only consistent solution I could find was to use the unsorted position.

Dan

maig341

May 22, 2017, 8:55:12 AM5/22/17
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi .dan.g.

Thank you for the excellent explanation of your point of view. I have to agree with you completely. But imagine... for example in case of sorting by Due Date and New Task at Top you look at the smallest due date first and insert it (minus one day perhaps) into new task input so it's initially filled. Then it'll be placed at top. Just thinking...

maig341