BUG: Issues with Find Tasks Date rules

Tony G

Dec 21, 2015, 5:28:01 PM12/21/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Open Find Tasks. Create a rule for Modified Date (Relative) "is set".
1: The What Matched result shows the internal/numeric value rather than the external date format. This is a regression from v6.

Create a rule for Completed Date "is set".
2: No results when there are tasks with a completed date. This isn't a v7 regression, v6 is the same.

(Start Date "is set" returns correct tasks and shows the correct value.)

In general, please check the date filters for return of proper tasks and correct display.

Now create a rule for Modified Date (Relative) with occurs before or after.
3: What is expected for the value field? My guesses at positive and negative values are returning no results, or returning results that I don't understand with regard to the query.

Thanks.

.dan.g.

Dec 21, 2015, 6:16:13 PM12/21/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

Can you reproduce this with Introduction.tdl? And if so can you attach screenshots showing each of the 'problem' rules and the results?

This will enable me to exactly reproduce your experience.

Thx and Merry Xmas

Dan

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 09:28:01 UTC+11, Tony G wrote:
Open Find Tasks. Create a rule for Modified Date (Relative) "is set".
1: The What Matched result shows the internal/numeric value rather than the external date format. This is a regression from v6.

Create a rule for Created Date "is set".

Tony G

Dec 23, 2015, 3:11:00 PM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
For #1: "Modified Date (Relative)" and "Creation Date" show the same issue.

For #2, the filter is set and run for "Completed Date is set" but there are no results, though note there is a completed task:
(I mistakenly said Creation date for this in the OP, fixed.)

#3: For Modified Date (Relative)" what is expected in the value? Note that the dropdown has what may be invalid options:

Thanks!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

.dan.g.

Dec 23, 2015, 6:53:27 PM12/23/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
Thx Tony, that's all very helpful.

For 3#, it ought to accept the same values as relative dates on the commandline,

eg. 'T' for 'Today', 'T+2' for 'Day after tomorrow', 'T+1W' for 'A week today', etc

Consequently all of the 'normal' date operators are still valid because the relative date ultimately resolved into a 'normal' date.

ps. Possibly I could remove the 'is set/is not set' from the relative dates because this is duplicated by the associated 'normal' date operators.

Dan

.dan.g.

Dec 23, 2015, 7:23:47 PM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
On Thursday, 24 December 2015 07:11:00 UTC+11, Tony G wrote:
For #2, the filter is set and run for "Completed Date is set" but there are no results, though note there is a completed task:

That is because the 'Including' droplist does not have 'Completed tasks' ticked.

I'm happy to create a heuristic that overrides this 'hard' setting if the user appears to be expecting completed dates in the results.

Tony G

Dec 24, 2015, 12:37:45 AM12/24/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
*Headslap* DUH, I didn't think that this is already done at the command-line. Another one for the wiki....

Yes, I think removing the redundant setting under Relative selectors would be elegant.

Thanks!!

Tony G

Dec 24, 2015, 12:47:59 AM12/24/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Another headslap.

I could go either way on heuristics. The setting is there for us to use. However, yes, I did miss the connection.
Since we're here, however... What do you think about extending the size of that Including list, maybe moving it down? When fully populated, as seen above, the text is cut. There is plenty of room if the window is undocked. Perhaps you could shorten the width of the active/open task selector since that one isn't using the allocated space. Another way to solve that would be to change the text that's displayed in the list: Rather than "Completed tasks, Filtered-out tasks, and Parent Tasks", how about just "Completed, Filtered, Parents". We know they're tasks, that doesn't need to be repeated 3 times. I understand this will provoke a translation change, so I'm bending toward just making the field wider.

Thanks!!
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

.dan.g.

Dec 24, 2015, 12:56:02 AM12/24/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
All the checkbox droplists throughout TDL should display a tooltip showing the currently selected items.

.dan.g.

Jan 1, 2016, 8:26:36 PM1/1/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Fixed in 7.0.11

Tony G

Jan 4, 2016, 1:07:23 PM1/4/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
OK, everything reported is fixed. Thank you VERY much.

About the codes used for relative dates, I don't think many people will get that. Especially since it's case-sensitive, etc.
What do you think about putting a help icon on the Find dialog, pointing to the relevant wiki page (when it's created) ? I think that kind of context-sensitive help would be welcome in a few places. I'll be happy to create a new thread where we can coordinate this if you'd like to move in this direction.

Best,

.dan.g.

Jan 4, 2016, 6:44:09 PM1/4/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Yes, lets have a new thread on this.

Tony G

Jan 4, 2016, 10:41:47 PM1/4/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
New thread created. This one is complete.