Question: todolist app and copyright infringment on ToDoList. a funny joke that .dan may or may not want to read.

Manning

Oct 11, 2018, 12:24:44 PM10/11/18
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
In patents if you do not pursue action when you become aware of an infringement then you lose your patent protection.  I am not sure but would guess it is the same thing with copyright and trademarks.  So I thought of a funny joke about infringement that you may or may not want to read, but if you wanted to know more on the joke, translate the text below, it is funnier in spanish.  If you aren't interested just delete this post.

Me di cuenta de que hay una aplicación todolist fuera. Estoy bastante seguro de que no eres tú. También me di cuenta de que tienes una marca registrada. Esto parece infringir su marca comercial, aunque el nombre es descriptivo, no sé qué tan fuerte es. Normalmente, la capitalización no lo despejaría de infracción. ¡JAJA! broma divertida eh.

.dan.g.

Oct 11, 2018, 7:02:45 PM10/11/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
There's no link ????

On Friday, 12 October 2018 03:24:44 UTC+11, Manning wrote:
In patents if you do not pursue action when you become aware of an infringement then you lose your patent protection.  I am not sure but would guess it is the same thing with copyright and trademarks.  So I thought of a funny joke about infringement that you may or may not want to read, but if you wanted to know more on the joke, translate the text below, it is funnier in spanish.  If you aren't interested just delete this post.

I realized that there is a todolist application outside. I'm pretty sure it's not you. I also noticed that you have a registered trademark. This seems to infringe your trademark, although the name is descriptive, I do not know how strong it is. Normally, the capitalization would not clear it of infraction. LOL! funny joke huh

Manning

Oct 11, 2018, 11:14:38 PM10/11/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
The text entry is acting funny.   Maybe my internet.  See if this will post this time.
Had trouble posting.  Firefox just updated and it was telling me I couldn't post with no content even though there was.
Seems to be working now.  I thought you would just google it so I didn't put a link.  I also don't understand why the part I put in spanish is in english.  I did it so if you didn't want to be aware of it and then need to take action you had reasonable denial.

.dan.g.

Oct 12, 2018, 5:13:06 AM10/12/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
No worries, I had thought you were perhaps suggesting a complete ripoff but simply using such a generic name is not a problem for me...

Manning

Oct 12, 2018, 6:15:18 PM10/12/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
It doesn't look like you registered ToDoList with the USPTO?  That was why I went to the trouble to make it something that you could avoid knowing about.  I went ahead and looked and surprisingly all the versions that were registered of todolist (not you) have been abandoned.  Might not have been in the same classification but I am not as familiar with software classifications.   Todoist is active.
I did find the strangest one I've seen.  The entire thing is the tradmark.

STORY BEHIND THE BAND MAKE A DIFFERENCEPRAY LOVE DRUG FREE SCHOOLS BE KIND GENTLE CHOICES FAITH TRUST SHARING HIKING HEALTH LAUGHTER CELEBRATE LIFE BE A BUDDY I CARE! PROUD OF YOU HUGS COMMITMENT ENJOY THE JOURNEY TO-DO LISTS THANK YOU SPORTS REMEMBER HARD WORK QUALITY TIME EXERCISE SMILES STAND BY ME NA SHARE SAFETY FREEDOM LISTENING WE WON! TEARS FRIENDS FAMILY-TIME FUNDRAISING BE HAPPY SAFETY PROMOTE BE LIGHT MISSION TRIPS COLLEGE BOUND DREAM BIG DON'T GIVE UP SURPRISES! PLAY HARD HARD WORK WORSHIP BE A BLESSING MEMORIES MOTOR CYCLES READING! ENDORSE JOY AWARENESS EXPECT MORE NO BULLYING! PROMISE

P.S.  you shouldn't use the

©, but the ™ .The © is more for copy like a book or long writing.  The name is a trademark so the ™.  If you register it than the ®.

.dan.g.

Oct 14, 2018, 3:41:58 AM10/14/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
The (c) is not meant to indicate that the name is what's copyrighted, it's meant to show that the software is copyrighted.

The absolutely no point for me to trademark such a generic name, especially since I have no money with which to challenge trademark infringements.

Manning

Oct 14, 2018, 2:15:37 PM10/14/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Understandable.  It is an expensive game.
Not to beat a dead horse but wanted to make sure you knew this as well.
If you want to indicate the software is copywritten you should put the (C) (first year offered to public) (copyright owners name)
It should be in the code as a comment or something as well.  Placement seems a more extensive for software.
Decent article:

And if that horse isn't quite dead yet, even if you don't have the money if you register it ($45 last I looked) then you might find a lawyer that would work on contingency.  If you would ever have that intent then having it register would be critical.  Can't go after anyone without it registered.  You can also collect damages which is what I lawyer would want to get their blood.  Its all that stuff that you hope you never have to deal with but if you ever decide to then its harder in a rush and it just may not be worth it to you.  I haven't had to ever do anything and hope I never do.  Muddy nasty waters.
Anyway just wanted to make sure you knew.

.dan.g.

Oct 14, 2018, 8:32:05 PM10/14/18
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Thanks for you efforts but I'm really not fussed enough to make any changes.