Where is LOG(<severity>) macro.

David Valouch

May 27, 2021, 6:42:01 AM5/27/21
to Abseil.io
Throughout the examples the LOG(<severity>) macro is being used, but I'm unable to find where it is defined. Do I need another library beyond Abseil?

Derek Mauro

May 27, 2021, 9:29:04 AM5/27/21
to David Valouch, Abseil.io
I assume you are talking about stuff like https://github.com/abseil/abseil-cpp/blob/1ae9b71c474628d60eb251a3f62967fe64151bb2/absl/status/status.h#L372-L377? It is just an example of how you might handle an error by logging it. You could certainly just replace LOG with std::cerr.

We are planning on releasing our logging library, but it is not ready yet. Our logging library will be an up-to-date version of what was previously released as https://github.com/google/glog.

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 6:42 AM David Valouch <david1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Throughout the examples the LOG(<severity>) macro is being used, but I'm unable to find where it is defined. Do I need another library beyond Abseil?

Yuval Kaplan

Jun 24, 2021, 5:21:01 PM6/24/21
to Abseil.io
Hi,

Is there any estimate on when the logging library might be available? I couldn't find up-to-date issues about this, and in the meantime it's a bit awkward to use both glog and Abseil flags.

Thanks!

Derek Mauro

Jun 24, 2021, 7:16:48 PM6/24/21
to Yuval Kaplan, Abseil.io
We get this question a lot. It is still actively being worked on, nothing has changed. A lot of cleanup is going into this effort. Estimating a release date is difficult.

Yuval Kaplan

Jun 25, 2021, 4:40:29 AM6/25/21
to Abseil.io
That's great to hear. Thank you!

Jiawen Chen

Sep 6, 2022, 2:23:41 PM9/6/22
to Abseil.io
After much anticipation, it looks like C++ Abseil logging is out!

@Googlers - will there be a guide for Abseil logging like the excellent ones for Status and Time? In particular, I'm currently using google/glog and am curious about the differences (environment variables, absl flags integration, etc).

-Jiawen

Mark Barolak

Sep 22, 2022, 9:44:20 AM9/22/22
to Jiawen Chen, Abseil.io
We're still talking about what documentation to provide beyond the basic API docs, but there seems to be a consensus that a user's guide would be a good idea.  A migration guide from glog is an excellent suggestion.