Together with your know-how, we want to advance the knowledge transfer of Machine Learning and AI in the field of climate extremes. You will use natural language processing (NLP), machine learning, and data mining to identify and quantify drivers and/or impacts of different weather disasters (e.g. floods, droughts, heatwaves, storms) from unstructured data (e.g. newspapers, websites, social media).
Collaborations with other researchers at ScaDS.AI and with the groups of Dr. Jakob Zscheischler and Dr. Mariana M. de Brito at UFZ are desired.
Your tasks include, among others:
- Developing NLP methods for extracting information on extreme events (e.g. adaptation measures, societal drivers, observed impacts) from different types of text data (e.g. social media, Wikipedia, reports, news)
- Developing tools to study interlinkages and conditional dependencies in complex systems, including compounding patterns
- Develop creative visualization of the research outputs
- Writing high-level publication of research results
- Writing research proposals, coordination of resulting projects (optional)
- Supervision of graduate students (optional)