Please post

Hunt, Allen G.

Jan 13, 2022, 12:23:10 PM1/13/22
to abouthy...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our virtual session Complex Systems Approaches to the Water Cycle and the Critical Zone” at the inaugural Frontiers in Hydrology meeting (FIHM).  FIHM is jointly organized by AGU and CUAHSI and it will take place 19-24 June 2022 in San Juan, Puerto Rico, as well as online everywhere.

Session Description: Complex systems research addresses systems in which the large-scale behavior is not obviously related to the small-scale behavior, whether due to issues of heterogeneity, non-linearity, or interactions. Interactions with the hydrosphere and biosphere arguably contain all three. Hydrology has struggled with scale-dependences of variables, spatio-temporal scaling of processes, and a large number of variables for decades. Is there a possibility to unify results and data with relatively simple theories: chaos, for non-linearity, percolation theory for heterogeneity, network and graph theory for interactions (or computer models, which may combine such approaches)? Or are we doomed to a future where we cannot separate soluble from insoluble problems and committed to assigning all problems of high complexity and complicatedness to AI's machine learning?

This session will convene a panel to discuss these and related pressing issues in the application of complexity in hydrology and the critical zone. Confirmed panelists so far include Octavia Crompton, Rafael Bras, and Praveen Kumar. We would like to include topics for discussion from among the abstracts submitted; therefore ideas, comments, and questions are welcomed, provided they link a well described proposal or discussion of recent research within the context of the sessions' topics.

Abstracts are due 26 January, 2022.

To submit: https://agu.confex.com/agu/hydrology22/prelim.cgi/Session/143041

Sincerely,

Allen Hunt and Behzad Ghanbarian, conveners

Florian Pappenberger

Jan 13, 2022, 1:57:25 PM1/13/22
to abouthy...@googlegroups.com

ECMWF has over 30 fantastic job opportunities many of them also relevant for hydrologists in Bonn, Reading, Bologna, all of them in the framework of the EU's Destination Earth initiative.

At the ECMWF Headquarters (Reading, UK):

At the ECMWF Data Centre (Bologna, Italy):

At the ECMWF Offices for activities in partnership with the EU (Bonn, Germany):

 Important: the deadline for all of these vacancies is January 17th, so speed is of the essence!

Best,

Florian

My working hours may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal work schedule.

____

Florian Pappenberger

Director of Forecasts & Deputy-Director General

European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts

Reading, UK | Bologna, Italy | Bonn, Germany

e: florian.pa...@ecmwf.int | m: +44 7467 339769

w: ecmwf.int  | twitter: @FPappenberger

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/florian-pappenberger-b254372/

This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, dissemination or distribution (in whole or in part) of its contents is not permitted - read full disclaimer