We would like to attract your attention to Postdoc position related to
*water – permafrost interactions*.
The candidate will join the group implementing the project NCN SONATA
BIS "Applied remote sensing and geophysical imaging in recognition of
the changes of the water balance in High Arctic catchments" at the
Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences.
It is planned to use cryo-hydro-geological models for a better
understanding of processes linking hydrology and permafrost under
varying climatic conditions.
Qualifications required for the PhD position in Earth Sciences:
1. PhD in Earth sciences or related sciences obtained maximum 7 years
before starting work on the project. It is allowed to submit
applications by persons who obtain a doctoral degree before the date of
commencement of work;
2. The candidate should have knowledge on permafrost and hydrology
and will be expected to work partially in the Arctic.
3. The ideal candidate should be familiar with geophysical methods in
particular GPR measurements and interpretation of the results.
4. Knowledge of programming (MATLAB, R, Python).
5. Experience in hydrogeological modelling and/or modelling of
perennial permafrost and/or cryo-hydro-geological modeling (eg CryoGRID
3, Advanced Terrestrial Simulator) will be additional asset.
6. Fluent English enabling the presentation of results at
international conferences, communication, reading and writing scientific
7. Outstanding scientific achievements;
8. Motivation for scientific work.
Conditions of employment:
1. The amount of funds for employment is PLN 10,000 gross / month
(which is approximately PLN 6,000 net)
2. Stage dimension: full time
3. Employment period - 30 months
4. Employment is planned from 1st of August 2023
5. According to the NCN conditions, during the employment period, a
post-doc may not receive any other remuneration from the NCN funds.
More information on the positions and how to apply:
Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you have any questions.
Marzena Osuch and Tomasz Wawrzyniak
Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences