AGU 2024 session: EP018. Fine-grained dispersal systems

Judy Q. Yang

Jun 26, 2024, 4:06:12 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to abouthy...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to our session at this December's AGU Fall Meeting:

EP018. Fine-grained dispersal systems: sediment transport mechanics, morphologic expressions, depositional patterns, and climate impact (https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/224379)

Session ID224379

Session description: Fine-grained sediments (consisting of clay, silt, and sand) abound in many types of depositional settings, including fluvial deltaic, coastal, shallow and deep marine, and subglacial environments, as well as lahars and debris flows. Fine-grained sediments can dampen turbulence, alter fluid rheology, and generate hindered or lubricated particle interactions. They also confer cohesiveness and inhibit erosion and hyporheic flow. The resulting complex sediment-fluid interactions affect large-scale morphologic expressions and depositional patterns that are reflected in the stratigraphic record. Furthermore, fine-grained sediments often contain abundant organic matter and adsorb contaminants and pathogens and consequently play a critical role in water quality and the global carbon cycle. This session seeks contributions from studies exploring the movement of fine-grained sediment, the resulting depositional patterns, as well as its impacts on Earth and other planetary surfaces and on the global carbon cycle. We welcome field- and laboratory-based studies, numerical modeling, and theoretical contributions.

The submission link for our session is here.

Best wishes,

Conveners & Chairs:

Judy Yang (University of Minnesota)

Ian Bourg (Princeton University)

Hongbo Ma (Tsinghua University)

Andrew Manning(Plymouth University & University of Hull)

Daniel R Parsons (Loughborough University)

AGU_2024_fine_sediment.png

--
Judy Q. Yang
McKnight Land-Grant Assistant ProfessorUniversity of Minnesota