History of Hydrology

Demetris Koutsoyiannis

May 12, 2021, 1:46:27 AM5/12/21
to abouthy...@googlegroups.com, Okke Batelaan, Keith Beven, Chantal...@rennes.inra.fr, Laurent Pfister, Roberto Ranzi, m.w.e...@tudelft.nl, Nikos Mamassis

Dear colleagues,

If you are interested in the history of hydrology, you must be aware of the HESS Special Issue on this subject (https://hess.copernicus.org/articles/special_issue1018.html ), guest edited by  Okke Batelaan, Keith Beven, Chantal Gascuel-Odoux, Laurent Pfister, Roberto Ranzi, and Maurits Ertsen.

Thanks to their invitation and encouragement, Nikos Mamassis and I have done some new research on old (including classical ancient) texts and have produced a paper published yesterday:

From mythology to science: the development of scientific hydrological concepts in Greek antiquity and its relevance to modern hydrology, https://hess.copernicus.org/articles/25/2419/2021/

I hope that, if you are interested, you will find in our paper (and its Supplement) interesting insights and information about the historical developments in hydrology—and in science in general. Information that has been lost through the centuries, so that the picture given by modern texts about these developments may have been severely distorted. Furthermore, as we argue in the paper, ancient scientists offer today’s scientists powerful lessons, profoundly relevant in our times.

With kind regards,

Demetris Koutsoyiannis

National Technical University of Athens
d...@ntua.gr - http://www.itia.ntua.gr/dk/