Trailer for books

Nathaniel Sandler

Nov 27, 2022, 1:29:22 PM11/27/22
to abos-o...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any success with trailering books instead of a more traditoinal bookmobile? We are just starting to try and figure how to hitch books as it seems a bit more cost effective to buy and build out something like that, and would love any insight about companies/used dealers as well as weight limitations, etc.

Thank you for your time. Anything helps!

Sandler, Nathaniel

Founding Director

    BOOKLEGGERS LIBRARY

Miami, Florida

(305) 297-8837

John Paul

Nov 28, 2022, 1:12:05 PM11/28/22
to Nathaniel Sandler, abos-o...@googlegroups.com

We too are researching using a trailer rather than buying a bookmobile. Our reasons are as follows:

  • We can swap out a pick-up truck (used to pull the trailer) much easier and cheaper than replacing a bookmobile.
  • Likewise, if we have mechanical problems with a truck, we can borrow one from our local governments/schools while ours is in the shop.
  • The trailer would also allow us to drop off the unit at a location for several days at a time if necessary/desired.

My concerns are how much weight can we put on the thing, how closely we should place framing, axle size/strength, etc. etc.  We too can use any advice/guidance/pictures/prayers/mojo.

What happened to the national bookmobile specs we once had in this organization?  I can’t find them.

Thanks much!
John Paul Myrick

______________________________
Rev. John Paul Myrick, MLS, SJDM. (He/Him/His)
Regional Librarian

410 Merriman Avenue, East
Wynne, Arkansas 72396
Tel: 870-587-0587
Fax: 870-238-5434
Email: jp...@ecarls.org
Web: www.ecarls.org

"Two Counties, Many communities, one GREAT library!"

John Paul

Nov 28, 2022, 1:16:04 PM11/28/22
to Nathaniel Sandler, abos-o...@googlegroups.com

Let me add, we’ve requested bids for trailers twice so far, with no respondents. We also got a price based on the state/federal contract with the vendor who holds that contract. The price for a stripped down unit (few bells/whistles)  was far, far beyond our wildest dreams and budget. If I wanted to spend that much money, I would just go ahead and order a bookmobile (which I think is exactly what the vendor wanted us to do). So we’re again trying to develop specs for a trailer which we will then finish out with local vendors.

Again, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

JP

______________________________
Rev. John Paul Myrick, MLS, SJDM. (He/Him/His)
Regional Librarian

410 Merriman Avenue, East
Wynne, Arkansas 72396
Tel: 870-587-0587
Fax: 870-238-5434
Email: jp...@ecarls.org
Web: www.ecarls.org

"Two Counties, Many communities, one GREAT library!"

Allison Young

Nov 28, 2022, 2:05:10 PM11/28/22
to John Paul, Nathaniel Sandler, abos-o...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in this topic, as well. My library is a pop-up tent that I unload all my stuff into from a minivan, and load it all back up when we're closed. I've gotten rained out more times than I care to say, and I think my van could pull a small enclosed trailer. My only major concern with one is learning how to drive again while pulling it!

Thank you,

Allison Young (she/her/hers)
Outreach Services Coordinator
Coastal Plain Regional Library System
2014 Chesnutt Avenue, Tifton, GA 31794
229-386-3400 (main) | 229-402-9115 (cell)

Kaylee Stanfield

Dec 4, 2022, 10:40:05 AM12/4/22
to Allison Young, John Paul, Nathaniel Sandler, abos-o...@googlegroups.com
I love this idea!  We just got our big, fancy Bookmobile back in July after many delays.  Sadly, it has already received damage from everyday wear and tear and general stuff happens.  I would look into used trailers for sale around your area, particularly the ones built to haul atvs, motorcycles, and four-wheelers.  Those should already be bare boned and set to hold a considerable weight.

Caroline Ahmann

Dec 4, 2022, 5:32:08 PM12/4/22
to Kaylee Stanfield, Allison Young, John Paul, Nathaniel Sandler, abos-o...@googlegroups.com
Hey y’all
I am a non-profit, non-library affiliated bookmobile. I use my minivan, which can pull 3500 lbs,  to pull a 6x12 2 axle trailer. The trailer has a triangular front.  I can put a folding card table in that space and along the flat walls I have Acore shelving and a couple of carts. There is still room to put more shelving.

If you want to see some pics, check out my website:

Also happy to talk to answer further questions.

Caroline Ahmann

--
Caroline Ahmann

Hadley Priebe

Oct 16, 2023, 11:51:50 AM10/16/23
to ABOS-Outreach
I'm going to start with a little background into my organization. We are an independent bookmobile and literacy organization that travels through our very rural county to reach those who cannot access their town library. Currently, we have a step van that is 20 years old and has been at the mechanic since July 5 for what started as a brake line issue and turned into an electrical issue. We bought the bookmobile new, but every year it spends more time off the road getting fixed. I have been running our programs out of my car for the last 4 months. We are currently exploring options and feel that another step van is out of our financial  reach right now. Since the pandemic started we have lost employees and right now it is me and a handful of volunteers running things. My board helps but not in the day to day. I like the idea of a trailer for all the reasons others have said. The idea of having a truck that can easily be changed when maintenance is done feels like a dream right now.
Has anyone ever gone from a step van to a trailer?
Has anyone had any luck getting a trailer retrofitted for a generator and heat? We run year round except in inclement weather and when its 25*F or below. (Don't judge, winter is possibly more active in my state than others. We don't really have anything that's seasonal just ice cream stands or skating ponds)
For anyone who has a trailer, did you put in a window?
How easy is it to maneuver? I haven't ever driven anything with a trailer and backing up makes me a little nervous.

Thanks for any information you can share!

Hadley Priebe
Executive Director
Franklin Grand Isle Bookmobile
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers

Nathaniel Sandler

Oct 17, 2023, 7:27:52 PM10/17/23
to Hadley Priebe, ABOS-Outreach
This email couldn't be more well timed! We just unveiled our brand new trailer at our annual children's comic book event ADVENTURE-LEGGERS this past weekend and everyone loved it. The kids and parents alike were blown away. I have attached some pictures of this past weekend for you to see.

Looking back, my initial email asking this exact question was sent in November of 2022 so the process took us less than a year soup-to-nuts. We are a very small team and had some staff turnover in the meantime. Visioning the trailer manufacturing took much longer than anything else, and once we understood our needs and wants and committed, the manufacturing took around 6-8 weeks and the inside build out around the same. It's not completed in terms of external or internal design, but the physical construction is complete. We went with a trailer because of the cost. We all know what traditional bookmobiles cost. We got it all done for around 10% of what a traditional bookmobile would cost. I wrangled all of the work of the inside build out (so far really just floors and shelving), acting as a de facto general contractor, but there are companies that will do this for you if you have a more generous budget.

Has anyone ever gone from a step van to a trailer? We did not have a bookmobile prior to this but we did have a bookbike! The trailer was partially purchased as a way to make the bookbike more mobile. It will fit in the middle and can be driven around.

Has anyone had any luck getting a trailer retrofitted for a generator and heat? We do not need heat, but our trailer is wired for electricity which you should have the manufacturer do. The plan is to install a solar panel on the roof and run a generator inside but we haven't purchased that yet. In Miami we do not need heat. However, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. The only thing is our piece does not open from the inside, so you couldn't close the heat. It's just a matter of designing it for your community's specific needs.

For anyone who has a trailer, did you put in a window? We decided against the window and went for the ramp in the front nose. It feels much more user friendly to walk all the way through instead of walking to the front and turning around and walking out if that makes sense.

How easy is it to maneuver? I am still learning! That being said, I was able to drive it from Georgia to Miami without any experience besides Youtube. It definitely takes some getting use to to trailer things around, but it's not super hard. The only thing that's definitely complicated is backing up and maneuvering in any tight spaces. I wouldn't suggest trying that until you've practiced a little in a parking lot.

Ok this email has gotten really long. If you want to talk about vendors and pricing let me know. Any additional questions fire away.

Sandler, Nathaniel

Founding Director

    BOOKLEGGERS LIBRARY

Miami, Florida