The Healing Library free download on dementia (and other topics)

Wendy Pender

Aug 19, 2022, 3:20:25 PM8/19/22
to ls...@googlegroups.com, ABOS-Outreach

This resource for children’s books with discussion guides is new to me - https://www.thehealinglibraryus.com/free-downloads.  I did have some issues in the Alzheimer’s one I browsed briefly, e.g., the use of the word “patient” with regard to people who have Alzheimer’s disease, also some typos.  However, I don’t want to nitpick too much as I think it’s mostly excellent! There are suggested books and specific questions on how to use them, a list of common reactions children may have along with common symptoms the loved one may experience.  This is part of the Social Emotional Librarianship that LJ is sponsoring.

FYI, better together!

~Wendy

Wendy Pender, MLS (she/her)

Older Adults Program Coordinator

King County Library System
960 Newport Way NW
Issaquah, WA  98027

425.369.3285

wgpe...@kcls.org

cid:879c1097-9eed-45b9-9dfb-c37c5c8b69e4

Karen Quest

Aug 20, 2022, 12:06:29 PM8/20/22
to ABOS-Outreach
Wow, this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

KQ
Librarian-In-Traing
SJSU MLIS

Naomi Fisher

Aug 20, 2022, 12:34:11 PM8/20/22
to Wendy Pender, ls...@googlegroups.com, ABOS-Outreach
Wow, this is a fabulous resource!  Thanks!

Naomi Fisher

Klickitat County Outreach Librarian

360-906-5032

509-250-6188

Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries

131 W Burgen

Goldendale, WA 98620

My pronouns are: She / Her / Hers

NOTICE: Under Washington State's Public Records Act (RCW 42.56), email communications to and from this or any Fort Vancouver Regional Library District email account can be subject to public disclosure to a third-party requestor.

Elizabeth Hornig

Nov 17, 2022, 7:29:45 AM11/17/22
to Naomi Fisher, Wendy Pender, ls...@googlegroups.com, ABOS-Outreach
Someone had asked the question as to whether people with dementia can read. Don't remember if it was on this thread or one of the Facebook groups I follow, but thought I'd share this link to an upcoming webinar on dementia
Research shows that many people living with dementia can still read and benefit from using a wide variety of library materials. Join this webinar to hear practical advice on choosing reading materials uniquely suited to each individual, following the tenets of person-centered care.

Elizabeth Hornig, MLS
Assistant Director

Somerset County Library
6022 Glades Pike, Suite 120
Somerset, PA  15501-4300
Phone: (814) 445-5907, ext 105

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SomersetCL
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SomersetCL

Nov 17, 2022, 8:01:10 AM11/17/22
to Elizabeth Hornig, Naomi Fisher, Wendy Pender, ls...@googlegroups.com, ABOS-Outreach
Thank you for sending this out. I love to see people trying to reach children and adults dealing with dementia.  I have put a link to our library's dementia resources in hopes that it will help some of you get started on something.        https://www.delawarelibrary.org/services/memory-care/

Again, thank you for sharing!!

--
Robbie K. Apt
Outreach Manager