Reader's Advisory: Resources for Young Children of Type 1 Diabetics

Shannon Sarkisian

Nov 30, 2022, 7:11:34 PM11/30/22
to ABOS-Outreach
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for resources for a young patron (kindergarten/first grade) who has a parent with Type 1 diabetes, specifically on how to handle an insulin reaction or other medical emergency when the parent or caregiver is incapacitated and the child must get help.

Most of what I have found is either for children who have Type 1 themselves or adult children who have a parent with diabetes. This patron's parent already found one book, Mommy Beeps, but I'm reaching out to widen the search.

For context, the parent had an insulin reaction for the first time and the patron didn't know how to find the correct app on the parent's iPhone. They are looking for info on helping the patron access emergency services using a smartphone or asking for help from a neighbor as well as age-appropriate materials that will help the patron process what happened (feeling scared/seeing their parent unconscious/etc).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Shannon

--

Shannon Bowman-Sarkisian
Outreach Librarian

Follow us on FacebookInstagram, and Youtube!