Sooty film inside bookmobile

M Freidhof

Nov 28, 2022, 3:07:36 PM11/28/22
to ABOS-Outreach
I have a Sprinter Bookmobile that I recently took in for brake work.
This morning I noticed some gray sooty film on a laminated sign and on a shelf directly across from the side double doors.
I took some wipes and started wiping down books and DVD's (top shelf) and everything had this blackish soot on them. Not really noticeable to the naked eye, but the wipes were pretty dirty.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to blame the repair shop. Could it be something with the diesel? Maybe the rear heat blowers?

--
Marilyn Freidhof
Bookmobile/Outreach Services

Patricia Tompkins

Nov 28, 2022, 3:09:30 PM11/28/22
to M Freidhof, ABOS-Outreach
This has happened in every bookmobile I've driven...it's a constant problem.

Pat Tompkins, MLIS
Librarian II
Iron County Bookmobile
4763 N. Santa Fe Trail
Enoch, UT  84721

James Ericksen

Nov 28, 2022, 5:55:21 PM11/28/22
to Patricia Tompkins, M Freidhof, ABOS-Outreach
Ink from the books is my guess. people are constantly opening the books and flipping through the pages and you don't see it, but it is flying in the air. I wonder how my lungs are after 18 years of librarian/driver?

--
Jim Ericksen
Sanpete/Southern Juab County Bookmobile Director

Kristin Soper

Nov 29, 2022, 12:15:31 PM11/29/22
to ABOS-Outreach
I assumed it was just dirt from being outside. Granted our bookmobile is only accessible from the outside, but maybe anything with less environmental controls would have that problem?

Marthey, Diana

Nov 29, 2022, 12:25:49 PM11/29/22
to Kristin Soper, ABOS-Outreach
We regularly get road dust/grime on our library material and if we carry purses/tote bags, we have dark colors so it doesn't show.
We clean out our bookmobiles 3 times/year-each for a 2 week period. We scan all the barcodes, take the materials off the shelves and wipe down the shelves, and we refresh the collections.
Idk if it is where the items are located and/or what material they're made of, but we do have to wipe down some things. You can use a glass cleaner or purell with a little elbow grease and paper towels. I'm going to experiment with a vinegar/water/dawn dish soap spray and see if that works better. Some people use gloves to protect their hands from dying out.

Get Outlook for Android