a plot/image as a spanner... any ideas/references/snippets/etc?

padovani

May 6, 2022, 4:07:24 PM5/6/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone have an idea on how to plot a matplotlib graph or image above a score with some time precision ("sync" start and end point of the events)? I'm wondering here how to do that... Ideally, it should work like a spanner (be able to indicate in which note the matplotlib image starts and where it ends). Ideally, also, the image would be generated according to the size available to place it above the note so that it fits exactly in that place. For our purposes here (a project I am leading with some students) it would be nice to print spectrograms and other graphs above the musical events transcribed using abjad and other tools.

Many years ago I remember that someone (Mike Solomon, I think) coded some kind of spanner that stretched any image between two notes... maybe that would be a path to do that. In any case, If anyone has any insight on this I will be happy to know!

Thanks!

Trevor Bača

Jul 11, 2022, 2:13:17 PM7/11/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
I think Orm Finnendahl (a LilyPond user, but not an Abjad user) has produced some quite successful examples of scores that superimpose fixed graphics and (time-proportional) LilyPond output. You could maybe try contacting him off-list, and see if that sort of superpositioning is still part of his process.

Trevor.