Abjad installation instruction for windows

Gianmaria Lari

Jun 23, 2022, 5:53:59 AM6/23/22
to abjad-user
Hello,

I'm on Windows 10.
I already have python 3.10.5 and lilypond 2.23.9 installed.

I would like some help to install Abjad.

Thanks!

Trevor Bača

Jun 23, 2022, 1:02:51 PM6/23/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Abjad's install instructions aren't tested for windows:

You can try following the instructions for macOS, or Linux:

Or maybe there's a Windows user on this list who can help you. Good luck!

Trevor.

Gianmaria Lari

Jun 23, 2022, 1:27:04 PM6/23/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Trevor for your message!

Today I tried to install it on WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux, debian distribution).

Everything worked until the last fateful command:

abjad.show(...)

This command unfortunately generates an error caused by the lack of GUI support. I also tried to install a GUI but failed today... I will try again in the next days.

Anyway, I would still like to be able to make it work under native windows. I'll try and keep you posted here.

Kind regards, g.

Gianmaria Lari

Jun 25, 2022, 4:13:09 AM6/25/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Trevor,

I have been able to install Abjad on windows and I wrote some instructions that could be useful to others.

Best regards, g.

P.S. English is not my first language....

Trevor Bača

Jun 25, 2022, 10:59:31 AM6/25/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Gianmaria!

The install docs read great; did you test them against Abjad 3.10 (the latest version of Abjad)?

Trevor.

Gianmaria Lari

Jun 25, 2022, 12:14:41 PM6/25/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com
> The install docs read great
Thank you Trevor! I am glad if it can be helpful to other users. If you want, please feel free to use it in the Abjad ufficial page.

> did you test them against Abjad 3.10 (the latest version of Abjad)?
Well I didn't do anything to avoid the latest version :) I did a quick look at the Abjad api but I didn't find a function for printing the Abjad version. Isn't there a way to print it?

g.

Trevor Bača

Jul 11, 2022, 2:16:40 PM7/11/22
to abjad...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Gianmaria Lari gianma...@gmail.com wrote:

> The install docs read great
Thank you Trevor! I am glad if it can be helpful to other users. If you want, please feel free to use it in the Abjad ufficial page.

Ok, sounds good! Is it ok if I direct other Windows users to you, if they have questions when following the new install docs?

> did you test them against Abjad 3.10 (the latest version of Abjad)?
Well I didn't do anything to avoid the latest version :) I did a quick look at the Abjad api but I didn't find a function for printing the Abjad version. Isn't there a way to print it?

Yup, try:

 python
Python 3.10.5 (v3.10.5:f377153967, Jun  6 2022, 12:36:10) [Clang 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)] on darwin
>>> import abjad
>>> abjad.__version__
'3.10'