Abella 2.0.6 beta 1

Kaustuv Chaudhuri

Jan 4, 2019, 10:12:17 AM1/4/19
to Abella
Abella 2.0.6 is nearly ready for release. Unfortunately I feel that it needs a quick beta testing round because OPAM has changed significantly in the previous year. Please help me beta test the new release by doing the following:

1. Upgrade your OPAM installation to version 2.0.0 or later, since version 1.2.x is no longer supported and no more 1.2.x packages are being accepted.

2. Get the 2.0.6-b1 release of Abella and test it out with OPAM. You could do some subset of the following commands.

% cd abella
% git co -b v2.0.6-b1 v2.0.6-b1
% opam remove abella # if needed
% opam unpin abella # if needed
% opam pin abella .

3. File an issue report if something fails to work.

(Or e-mail me if you'd rather not use Github.)

If I don't get any reports in a week or so I'll pull the trigger on the release.

As usual the CHANGES file says what's new. I'll include it in the announcement of the 2.0.6 release.

Kaustuv

Dale Miller

Jan 4, 2019, 11:42:29 AM1/4/19
to abella-the...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kaustuv,

I've tried to make the updates to opam and abella but failed so far.

First: the command you gave
%% git co -b v2.0.6-b1 v2.0.6-b1
needed to be changed by replacing co with checkout.

The opam update is failing for me since it seems I need to install "bubblewrap".  I'll try to sort out what that means tomorrow.  -Dale

Yuting Wang

Jan 4, 2019, 4:09:36 PM1/4/19
to abella-the...@googlegroups.com
Tested on my work PC which runs Ubuntu 18.04 and opam 2.0.2. All works fine. I will test it out on my other machines.

I noticed that the change log on the Abella website is out of sync with that in the distribution. Could you take care of that?

- Yuting

Yuting Wang

Jan 5, 2019, 12:07:55 AM1/5/19
to abella-the...@googlegroups.com
I have tested on another PC with Ubuntu 18.04 and a Macbook Pro with opam 2.x.x. All seems to work fine.

Dale Miller

Jan 5, 2019, 2:49:04 AM1/5/19
to abella-the...@googlegroups.com
Xavier Leroy points out that certain choices about bubblewrap "...make OPAM 2.0 largely unusable on Ubutu 16.04." (see https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/3424).  Later on the same page, someone points out how to get a version of bubblewrap to work on this installation of ubuntu.  So now opam 2.0.0 is working for me.  I now have Abella  2.0.6-b1 working and I used it to recheck my current library development (for arithmetic).

  -Dale

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 4:12 PM Kaustuv Chaudhuri <kaustuv....@gmail.com> wrote:

Kaustuv Chaudhuri

Jan 7, 2019, 8:01:38 AM1/7/19
to Abella
Thanks to everyone for their quick responses. I've now confirmed or had confirmation that Abella 2.0.6 works fine on Linux and OS X releases from the past couple of years.

The issue with Ubuntu 16.04 and bubblewrap is unfortunate, but it is beyond my control if I want to distribute Abella with OPAM. You can still compile Abella directly without OPAM since Abella itself doesn't use bubblewrap. Thanks to Dale for locating the fix.

I have also tested the cross compiled version of Abella with mingw64 in a Windows 10 virtual machine. Everything seems to work as expected from the command line.

I'll go ahead with the full release now.

Kaustuv