Oldest version of dicionaries

AardF...@web.de

Jun 7, 2023, 4:11:16 PM6/7/23
to aarddict
@Michael, who is offering the dictionaries as torrents, and to all others here I have a question.

To support the distribution with Michael's torrents I kept the version of Jan 01 2023 and tried to make a monthly update. The June update is running in the background here and the disks are spinning like hell :)
If i recall correctly, the interest in the torrents is degrading after 3 to 4 months. Now would it be time to make the oldest version on RWTH the one of June 01 and delete all older versions? I would keep the June version until December to start over. Michael would need to regenerate the torrents.

What are your opinions?

Michael Bechtold

Jun 7, 2023, 5:08:25 PM6/7/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com

Triggered by your mail I just got reminded that I forgot to publish the magnet for your April release (EN, DE, ES). Now fixed.

As I have local copies, the torrents do not depend on the Aachen repository.. With today's addition a window of three magnets is established. Why not keep a SLIDING window of three (Torrents) and two (Aachen) releases?

Just my 2c.

Cheers

Michael

Markus Braun

Jun 8, 2023, 4:32:32 AM6/8/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I do not fully understand.

I understood the update release as:
1. January rwth and torrents
2. Then each consecutive month an rwth update and deletion of previous month (with exception of January)
3. June update rwth and torrents, deletion of January. This way we have seeding time for the torrents as they are published in January and June.
4. Monthly updates on rwth.

If you are updating the torrents on a monthly base, I will just keep the last month and rotate monthly.

Are you aware that there is a function in the torrents to additionnaly download from a second source? You could provide data from your system and from rwth simultaniously.

Does this make sense?

I am open to any schedule, as I am feeding rwth only. ;)

Jun 9, 2023, 3:31:48 PM6/9/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com

Markus Braun

it seems I did not understand your point :-) TXs for clarification.

We can do that this way. So, at any time, there would be only on torrent available - no harm.

Are you actually hosting more than one version as a torrent?

Re. second source: if I understand the web seed mechanics correctly, only .torrent files can manage them, but not magnet links.

Long time ago I dealt with Transmission... And in the beginning I offered the files as torrent and then parallel with torrent and on rwth. Hence I feeded locally slow and from the fast rwth server. I do not recall if this was torrent or magnet.
Anyhow, I can put *.torrent files into the folders if you want.

If this is right,we'd need a storage location for the .torrent files, which realisticly could only be RWTH.

Can you pls. advise?

TXs and cheers

Michael

PS: I would still provide the magnet link - the web seed in the .torrent on RWTH would be a backup to my private system.

The end of the day we are trying to generate a solution without the users. I have no clue what the useres would prefer. I myself am using FTP or rsync or wget as fast file transfer. But I may not have restrictions others have...

Michael Bechtold

Jun 12, 2023, 7:31:31 AM6/12/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com, Michael Bechtold

Hi Markus,

indeed I'm currently hosting two versions; June wouold be the third. But I'm not religious about the number.

My proposal: your half year (Jan/Jun) will get a torrent, and in addition (only) the very latest

Re. web seed: I see no way how a magnet link could encode a URL, that might be longer than the magnet itself. I also did a little test with a magnet: my torrent seed does NOT propagate the web seed to flud (Android torrent app). and this seems on purpose (see: https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/1433).Hence I suppose that .torrent files are the only mechanics to access web seeds.

I have attached the 3 .torrent files for your latest Jun release for DE, EN, ES (as usual). The latest French one is folder based, which I have not tested re. web seeding (yet).

Once you tell me the location on RWTH, I will update the torrent related entries on the dictionary site.

TXs and cheers

Michael

PS: indeed you and I (500/100Mb/s FTTH) do not have the restrictions that downloaders from other continents/countries endure ...

enwiki-20230601.slob.torrent
eswiki-20230601.slob.torrent
dewiki-20230601.slob.torrent

AardF...@web.de

Jun 13, 2023, 6:02:01 AM6/13/23
to aarddict
Great. Thanks for the feedback
Pls be aware that I am deleting the last month files due to storage space. I will have listed the Jan or Jun files and the last actual dictionaries.

The location for enwiki would be
for june
same logic for the others.

The torrent files will be located one level higher at

I put the ones in already, not knowing if they are working. Probably you have an opportunity to do so.

Michael Bechtold

Jun 13, 2023, 7:11:14 AM6/13/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com

TXs Markus.

I just looked up https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/aarddict/enwiki/: there are no torrent files (yet).

The 3 torrents themselves are seeding.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Bechtold

Jun 13, 2023, 7:14:06 AM6/13/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com, AardF...@web.de

PS: as you are owning the access to this folder, I need to send you the new torrent files to put them there ...

AardF...@web.de

Jun 13, 2023, 10:53:19 AM6/13/23
to aarddict
Correct.
Sync is at 07:00 and at 19:00 so it will populate this evening

Michael Bechtold

Jun 15, 2023, 5:35:30 AM6/15/23
to aard...@googlegroups.com

And here's the French one.