Get involved in ACA outreach as a HEY Ambassador

Linh Chuong

Feb 7, 2014, 1:49:57 AM2/7/14
to aajc-stude...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all,

I don't know if you know or have helped someone (limited English proficient) in your family or community navigate social, health, and public resources before, but the Affordable Care Act is a complex cookie and becoming a Healthy Engaged Youth (HEY) Ambassador seems like a great opportunity for us to organize outreach events within our local networks. The toolkits already prepared.

Follow the link for more info, click here (http://www.ed.gov/edblogs/aapi/issue-areas/the-affordable-care-act/hey/) or read the pasted message below and feel free to share among your networks!

Warm regards and a very happy Lunar New Year's to you all!

-Linh

Affordable Care Act Resources for Students: Healthy Engaged Youth (HEY!)

Almost 19 million young adults aged 18-34 are uninsured, but as many as 17 million of those could be eligible for free or low-cost insurance thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). To amplify their voices and promote awareness, the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI), along with the White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education, the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans, the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics, and the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities, is engaging youth about the health care changes that are happening through the ACA.

It’s important for youth to be informed about these opportunities so they can get enrolled and covered to treat chronic conditions and emergency situations; for instance, fixing a broken leg can cost up to $7,500. Moreover, AAPI youth who are bilingual are especially key because they can help community members who are limited English proficient get enrolled in the new Health Insurance Marketplace.

Through Healthy Engaged Youth (HEY!), we want to empower youth to spread the word to their peers and the AAPI community to ensure our community has access to affordable health care. So, we’re inviting young leaders to become HEY! Ambassadors and lead outreach activities in your communities this year. The possibilities are endless – set up a table to share resources at a campus fair, create a video about getting health insurance, run a conference workshop – whatever you want to do to get the word out to your friends and community members about health coverage!

To become a HEY! Ambassador, email the following information to whiteho...@ed.gov:

Name
School
Graduation year
Email address
Organizations you’re part of

We’ll then send you a HEY! Ambassador toolkit. Sign up today!

--

張弘玲
Linh Hong Chuong

國際研究員
2013-2014 CAMSA-Taiwan International Fellow

廢除亞洲現代奴隸聯盟 - 台灣辦事處
Coalition to Abolish Modern-day Slavery in Asia-Taiwan
Liên Minh Bài Trừ Nô Lệ Mới ở Á Châu-Đài Loan

P/電話: 886 2 2682-0679
F/傳真: 886 2 2682-0565
C/手機: 0988 929 414

238 新北市樹林區中山路一段186號4樓
4F., No.186, Sec. 1, Zhongshan Rd., Shulin District, New Taipei City 238, Taiwan