Advancing Justice | AAJC Partners with MTV on Look Different Campaign

1 view

Anthony Bowman

Apr 30, 2014, 7:14:30 PM4/30/14
to Student Network (aajc-student-network@googlegroups.com), Jason Lagria

Advancing Justice | AAJC Partners with MTV on Look Different

Campaign to Fight Against Racial, Gender, and LGBT Inequality

Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC is proud to announce our partnership with MTV and other civil rights and social justice organizations with today’s launch of MTV’s “Look Different” campaign, a multi-year campaign empowering America’s youth to better recognize and respond to the hidden racial, gender, and anti-LBGT biases all around us.

The Look Different campaign leverages MTV’s on-air programming, social media reach, innovative digital tools, celebrity engagement and partnerships with Advancing Justice | AAJC and other organizations to help guide the campaign. Campaign elements unveiled today include: “Untitled Whiteness Project,” a documentary-style program that will explore young Americans’ still complicated relationship with race; “True Life: I’m a Gay Athlete;” a PSA series on “microaggressions;” an Implicit Bias Quiz which helps unearth unconscious biases; and a seven day, scientifically-grounded “Racial Bias Cleanse” designed to help people unlearn biases that have built up over years.

“Microagressions and stereotypes have a real and negative impact on the health and day-to-day experiences of Asian Americans—especially our children and youth. All too often Asian Americans are sexualized, marginalized, and portrayed as foreigners instead of as contributing individuals with their own unique stories and backgrounds. We are proud to partner with MTV and applaud their efforts to stamp out inequality,” said Advancing Justice | AAJC President and Executive Director, Mee Moua.

Are you interested in being profiled by MTV for breaking AAPI stereotypes?

Contact Jason Lagria at jla...@advancingjustice-aajc.org.

More information:

MTV Press Release

Twitter

Tumblr

Asian Americans Advancing Justice (www.advancingjustice.org) works to promote a fair and equitable society for all by working for civil and human rights and empowering Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and other underserved communities. We comprise Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (www.advancingjustice-aajc.org), Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Asian Law Caucus (www.advancingjustice-alc.org), Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago (www.advancingjustice-chicago.org), Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles (www.advancingjustice-la.org).

Southwest Airlines.  Official Airline of Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC.  Stop searching for low fares and start traveling!

Go to southwest.com—the only place to find all of Southwest Airlines’ low fares to the places you love!